GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NY Exhaust Fines Loud Illegal Exhaust Systems

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
This is definitely a concern. Based on your language I'm sure you're already aware, but there's no reason to volunteer any further information than absolutely necessary. I don't trust a cop who tries to be "friendly". I'll certainly be civil but I'm not about to provide more information to possibly be caught on than absolutely necessary.
That was 14 years ago. When you're a shy 19 year old and don't really know your rights they can get away with anything. The last time I saw the guy I was driving around lost in the middle of a neighborhood trying to deliver a pizza. He was at least 100 feet ahead of me and driving the same direction. He saw me in his mirror when I took a left turn and he did a u-turn to chase me down. I feel like he had the thing to check for window tint as soon as he got out of his car, and again my windows were down so he couldn't see them at all. Then he asked to search my car and I told him no. It was the first time I had told him no and his immediate reaction was, ok I'm gonna go call the dog. I was working, already behind on this delivery, and didn't want to waste more time so I let him search it. I wasn't going anywhere without them doing what they wanted to do. They had no probable cause at all, but it wasn't going to stop them.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If you could own an electric car that simulated gas powered, would you? Something that will simulate the sound of an exhaust and let you throw on some fake rear tips?

Let's take it a step further and this would guarantee that I would make the switch. An electric car that simulates manual transmissions. I guess that wouldn't be too hard to re-create. Isn't that what those racing steering wheel+pedals peripherals you can buy for the PC do? Some of them come with a clutch. If they could do that, I think I'd happily switch over.
Don't some automakers already do this? I could of sworn I saw a Top Gear or other car show episode where you could select the car or engine sound you wanted played through the speakers in time with RPMs.

Found this with a quick google search. :ROFLMAO:

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
One of the main reasons I post more here than Facebook is the adult conversations over the my d is bigger than yours on the mk7 Facebook groups. Some are helpful but I feel we have a more diverse, mature, knowledgeable group here. We can have these great discussions here without berating anyone.

With tbe, it sounds stock while I idle. Cruising around without smashing the pedal sounds sporty. But it's the moment I try to pass someone driving on the left lane 10 under the speed limit is where I will probably get myself in trouble. It opens up like hell's wraith and even u have that "oops, I'm sorry" look on my face when it happens.

Stock was too quiet for me. OEM+ is what I was going for. No pops, no catless downpipes, got my resonator and muffler too. I'm getting old I admit, but I still like to have fun. Just don't really look for attention or need approval. Waiting for @GTI Jake to get more 400 cell GESI cats so I can keep my 3" setup but chill it down a bit.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
That was 14 years ago. When you're a shy 19 year old and don't really know your rights they can get away with anything. The last time I saw the guy I was driving around lost in the middle of a neighborhood trying to deliver a pizza. He was at least 100 feet ahead of me and driving the same direction. He saw me in his mirror when I took a left turn and he did a u-turn to chase me down. I feel like he had the thing to check for window tint as soon as he got out of his car, and again my windows were down so he couldn't see them at all. Then he asked to search my car and I told him no. It was the first time I had told him no and his immediate reaction was, ok I'm gonna go call the dog. I was working, already behind on this delivery, and didn't want to waste more time so I let him search it. I wasn't going anywhere without them doing what they wanted to do. They had no probable cause at all, but it wasn't going to stop them.
Damn, that's harassment.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
If you could own an electric car that simulated gas powered, would you? Something that will simulate the sound of an exhaust and let you throw on some fake rear tips?

Let's take it a step further and this would guarantee that I would make the switch. An electric car that simulates manual transmissions. I guess that wouldn't be too hard to re-create. Isn't that what those racing steering wheel+pedals peripherals you can buy for the PC do? Some of them come with a clutch. If they could do that, I think I'd happily switch over.
I love this car, but what it makes it that much more enjoyable is the 6spd. Any car can be fun with a 6spd. All the noises associated with the vehicle add to the experience. If the future is gonna be all EV's, then a simulated gearbox/sounds would be awesome. Touch a feedback button and switch to auto if you wanna switch drivers who can't. I'm in no rush to switch though.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Don't some automakers already do this? I could of sworn I saw a Top Gear or other car show episode where you could select the car or engine sound you wanted played through the speakers in time with RPMs.

Found this with a quick google search. :ROFLMAO:

Well I was thinking moreso, an actual sound the car can produce externally to simulate an engine/exhaust. Not crazy overly loud obviously or were back in this same boat, lol. Just something to let you know you're in a performance vehicle. Nothing that comes out of the speakers. Something actually produced.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Well I was thinking moreso, an actual sound the car can produce externally to simulate an engine/exhaust. Not crazy overly loud obviously or were back in this same boat, lol. Just something to let you know you're in a performance vehicle. Nothing that comes out of the speakers. Something actually produced.
I mean, as a safety measure, some EVs produce an artificial sound so that they're audible to the outside world. Heck, give me a speaker and a pipe to direct it out the back of the car (and a way to change the sound), and we're halfway there. I'll miss the rumble of an ICE with poly mounts, but even then polyurethane mounts will still probably be an option (if not solid altogether, I don't know what's in EVs at the moment). I'd love to be able to make silly Jetsons noises from my car and change to the auditory ecstasy that is turbo noises at my leisure.

I think much of the car community is concerned about the future of our hobby, but even though it's changing, it's certainly not going to go away. Remember carburetors? I imagine the death of the carb produced similar fears in previous generations, but there's still a huge market for performance cars and modification of cars in general, and people are still finding ways to enjoy and personalize their vehicles.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
It's like faking orgasms. No.
It is, but if it's the end of the world and it's all we got, I'm taking it, lol.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
One of the main reasons I post more here than Facebook is the adult conversations over the my d is bigger than yours on the mk7 Facebook groups. Some are helpful but I feel we have a more diverse, mature, knowledgeable group here. We can have these great discussions here without berating anyone.

With tbe, it sounds stock while I idle. Cruising around without smashing the pedal sounds sporty. But it's the moment I try to pass someone driving on the left lane 10 under the speed limit is where I will probably get myself in trouble. It opens up like hell's wraith and even u have that "oops, I'm sorry" look on my face when it happens.

Stock was too quiet for me. OEM+ is what I was going for. No pops, no catless downpipes, got my resonator and muffler too. I'm getting old I admit, but I still like to have fun. Just don't really look for attention or need approval. Waiting for @GTI Jake to get more 400 cell GESI cats so I can keep my 3" setup but chill it down a bit.

The difference the 400 cell cat makes in volume is very minimal, these are the two OEM+ routes.

DP+MP+OEM muffler

TBE (Less Aggressive)

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I mean, as a safety measure, some EVs produce an artificial sound so that they're audible to the outside world. Heck, give me a speaker and a pipe to direct it out the back of the car (and a way to change the sound), and we're halfway there. I'll miss the rumble of an ICE with poly mounts, but even then polyurethane mounts will still probably be an option (if not solid altogether, I don't know what's in EVs at the moment). I'd love to be able to make silly Jetsons noises from my car and change to the auditory ecstasy that is turbo noises at my leisure.

I think much of the car community is concerned about the future of our hobby, but even though it's changing, it's certainly not going to go away. Remember carburetors? I imagine the death of the carb produced similar fears in previous generations, but there's still a huge market for performance cars and modification of cars in general, and people are still finding ways to enjoy and personalize their vehicles.
Some produce a sound inside the vehicle as well, because it gives the driver more of a sense of acceleration and speed.
Without it, especially in a powerful and luxurious electric - it can be difficult to realize how quick you are going if you're not looking at the speedometer.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
It is, but if it's the end of the world and it's all we got, I'm taking it, lol.
And hey... Some faked sounds in the bedroom can be appreciated.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Some produce a sound inside the vehicle as well, because it gives the driver more of a sense of acceleration and speed.
Without it, especially in a powerful and luxurious electric - it can be difficult to realize how quick you are going if you're not looking at the speedometer.
Yeah, that's another thing I've noticed, particularly with the GTI. It's very easy to go waaaaay above the speed limit on the interstate without realizing it, the car just feels very smooth and stable even at higher speeds. My other cars will let you know when you're going fast, but the GTI just stays planted everywhere. So I can see that being an issue with electric cars, where you don't have any natural sound combined with the lack of feedback from the car that maybe you're traveling a titch too quickly.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've found myself doing 90+ in the highway in my wife's car and not noticed. Engaging autopilot or adaptive cruise is the easiest way to avoid it really. The sound it now makes in reverse is a good thing should have had that earlier. I haven't noticed it making any noise when slowly moving forward, like in a parking lot. But maybe it only does so if it "sees" people around 🤷‍♂️.

My Golf feels/sounds about the the same at 65 as it does at 90, but being a TDI it takes a while to get there so I always know, haha.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Yeah, that's another thing I've noticed, particularly with the GTI. It's very easy to go waaaaay above the speed limit on the interstate without realizing it, the car just feels very smooth and stable even at higher speeds. My other cars will let you know when you're going fast, but the GTI just stays planted everywhere. So I can see that being an issue with electric cars, where you don't have any natural sound combined with the lack of feedback from the car that maybe you're traveling a titch too quickly.
Even with my setup, my wife had to do a double take at the speedometer and said, "we're actually doing a 100 right now." I asked, "yea. does it feel like we doing 100?" She said, "nope." Once you get above a certain RPM, you hear it, but most of the times, you can't tell how fast you're going. It does feel solid.

Then again, she drives a 15 Jeep Wrangler. Anything above 55MPH is scary.