GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NooB - Wheels (and more)

CDLehner

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello. I'm CD; 2016 mkVII owner (and 2014 mkVI before that), just hitting my 30k mark. I've been wanting to post here, for quite some time...but, note to mods; I could NEVER recover my lost password (emails just never showed...and yes, I know how to check spam, etc.).

Anyway...I finally remembered my way in (user was case-sensitive), and here I am now with just a TON of questions, lol :p :rolleyes:

But...before we get into questions about mods, in the appropriate areas; I wanted to start, by talking about the subject current burning in my head: wheels!

For stock...I dug the Serron wheels, on my mkVI. I'm not as big a fan, of the Austins...on my VII.

I'm 50...and looking for some style, but not really "bling". I actually, really like the Pretoria; but I assume, you pay a hefty premium...for the VW cap, and don't pick up much in the area of reduced-weight, performance, etc.

Again...I'm not looking to shave seconds, off lap-times and quarter-miles; I just want, a good, cooler-looking wheel (and if it was a little lighter...that certainly wouldn't hurt ;))

I guess wheels, that have caught my attention thus far...are models like the Sport A9, Axis XR, Sport P3, Asa GT5, BBS SR (among others; but you get the idea. Also...if it isn't obvious; I'm not looking to spend a mint, on 17 lb. wheels...lol).

I guess I was just hoping, on some feedback and advice...for a noob; approaching this kinda thing for the first time.

Oh, also; I've got questions...about my 30k maintennace and switching to a private mechanic (as opposed to dealer service, for the first time). If someone, could maybe point me to the right thread...for such a thing.

TIA. Sorry for the l o n g post; but I'm really happy, to (finally) be part of the community. I love my car...and really want to give it, some of the love it deserves. :cool:

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
I like the look of the BBS SR but not the weight. I'd consider Neuspeed (RSE10, 11, 12) for a nice compromise of weight savings, looks, and direct fit with stock hub bore and bolts. OZ Leggera has that Pretoria vibe so might be worth checking out.

CDLehner

Passed Driver's Ed
I like the look of the BBS SR but not the weight. I'd consider Neuspeed (RSE10, 11, 12) for a nice compromise of weight savings, looks, and direct fit with stock hub bore and bolts. OZ Leggera has that Pretoria vibe so might be worth checking out.

Thanks for the quick response AP2.

I like both of those wheels; but at $300+/ it's really more than I'm looking to spend (unless the forum concurs, that anything less is just a waste of money...and to stick with stock Austins, despite my feelings about the looks).

I'm just starting into my research; but that's one of the things, I liked...aside from the look...about, say, the Sport P3 or ASA GT5.

They're not 25 lbs., like the stock Austins...and even some of the other after-market wheels I listed; but they're not $300+/ for the 17/18 lb. models either.

At 21 lbs.; they kinda split the difference, for a reasonable price.

Now, what I need to know...that a noob like myself, obviously doesn't; are things like a) are they cast like crap, and b) I don't really want...to get into any mounting mods. So if someone needs to school me, about offsets and stuff; it would be much appreciated.

-CD

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
Anything in the 8" +45 range will fit nicely. It seems like you are looking at Tirerack. They only show conservative fitments for specific cars so all their listings should be good. Most aftermarket wheels don't come in 57.1mm hub bore but places like Tirerack are good about including hubcentric rings and conical wheel bolts if necessary.

nype

Drag Racing Champion

athos56

Ready to race!
VMR is another brand which offers 57.1mm center bore wheels. Similar in price to Neuspeed.

Have a look at the Fast FC04s. 18.6lbs (18x8 +42) and about $160 USD (with bolts and rings). Bronze and titanium finishes.

Fast FC04 / MK7 GTI
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...om/forums/showthread.php?t=39118&share_type=t
When I looked for wheels having the direct fit was important, just one less thing to go wrong. The Neuspeed wheels look good, not to crazy expensive, and are a direct fit.

nype

Drag Racing Champion

CDLehner

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys!

The feedback has been great; and I'm seeing some good-looking wheels :D

The thing is...because I am such a noobie; I don't really understand "offset" and "center bore"...lol. Now...I'm sure you guys could school me...and give me some parameters to stick within; but I'm kinda with athos56 on this. A direct, "perfect" fit; is kinda a high priority.

So I want to start compiling, recommended wheels...that do just that. Looking back through he posts...would that be

Avant Garde
FAST
Neuspeed
VMR

to this point? I don't really get overwhelmed...with like 20 choices. They're all pretty fine-looking. It'll just be a matter of looks, weight, price; again...assuming they all fit, without mods.

Thanks

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Wheel tech info:
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp?tab=Wheels

The Fast wheels are not direct fit, BTW.

Assuming you’re sticking with 18” wheels, I’d look at 8” - 8.5” wide, and 40mm to 45mm offset.

The width and offset combination will determine how much the wheel “pokes” out. You don’t really want to go more than 15mm front poke and 20mm rear poke, or the wheel/tire will protrude past the fender edge.

Some combination examples and how they will fit.

- 8" ET45 = 10mm past stock
- 8" ET42 = 13.5mm past stock
- 8” ET40 = 15mm past stock
- 8.5" ET45 = 17mm past stock

ET = offset

http://willtheyfit.com

Note: stock GTI Austin rims are 18x7.5 ET49.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
KISS.

If you don't want to worry about fitment and figuring out exact specs that you want/need

Go with OEM + I.e. Audi A4 A3 wheels or Neuspeed.

CDLehner

Passed Driver's Ed
KISS.

If you don't want to worry about fitment and figuring out exact specs that you want/need

Go with OEM + I.e. Audi A4 A3 wheels or Neuspeed.

K.I.S.S.

Yes! OK, so...

FAST are out. I have to say; right now...I think this is the wheel to beat

http://www.neuspeed.com/331/24/0/2860/881203s-rse12-light-weight-wheel.html

One...and this is a question; it seems to be a direct, "perfect", no-mod-required fit (57.1mm center bore). Two...I like the look, and especially w i d e choice of finishes!

Yes...I've shot down, $300/wheel previously; but a) I guess I'm starting to realize...that some of those cheaper wheels, will need to be modded (so I'm have to weigh those pros v. cons)...and b) I'm hoping street price, is not full MSRP?

Just so I can whittle the list down:

Avant Garde M310 still an option?
VMR V810 (http://www.velocitymotoring.com/wheels/v810/)

My brother mentioned a few wheels...that his research, seemed to turn up as a "fit". He's trying to convince me, a) I don't need to/shouldn't spend...$250-300/wheel, and b) that there are mods and there are mods (which I know); and that I shouldn't be "afraid" of some spacers...if it gets me a good wheel, cheaper...that isn't maybe a perfect fit.

Any feedback on these 2; just so I can put them on, or take them off the list:

Bremmer Kraft BR09 (https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/bremmer-kraft-wheels.jsp)

And I really like, these...

Sparco Trofeo 5 (https://www.sparco-wheels.com/wheels/sparco/trofeo-5)

Also MonkeyMD (I'm on the ES); I'll look at A3/4 wheels as "perfect-fit", OEM options. Thanks

-CD

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I don’t think the Audi wheels are 57.1mm center bore.

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Why doesn't VMR list their wheel weight? Or am I blind?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I don’t think the Audi wheels are 57.1mm center bore.

A3 and pre 2008 A4 are.

So are the R8 front wheels