GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

non-pp brakes to BBK - dust shields?

sdmcoupe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 VW GTI SE
For those of you that have upgraded from non-pp to PP or some other BBK kit, what did you do about the dust shields? Upgrade to larger ones? What's involved in replacing these in the front and rear?

I plan on upgrading rather than cutting and running w/o.

Thanks,
Rob

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
For those of you that have upgraded from non-pp to PP or some other BBK kit, what did you do about the dust shields? Upgrade to larger ones? What's involved in replacing these in the front and rear?

Thanks,
Rob

I’m running without, but you can always trim the existing ones for caliper clearance.

Front. https://youtu.be/4ViQ_GqLnVo

Rear. https://youtu.be/uauxiBlKC14

sdmcoupe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 VW GTI SE
i've seen those two videos a few times. :) i have the same brakes front and back going on at some point, but I want to install new, properly fitting dust shields. I dont want to run w/o them.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion

Thanks,
Rob

Personally I would spend my money elsewhere, rip them off and you'll be okay, answer me this, how many street bikes have dust/splash shields? If they serve a greater purpose why aren't they on both sides? Convince me I'm wrong.

sdmcoupe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 VW GTI SE
I don't really know. I've read a number of people noting that they're needed for wet weather driving and it could be dangerous to run w/o them in the wet.

The rears require the wheel bearing assembly to be removed but the fronts appear pretty straight forward to swap out.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I don't really know. I've read a number of people noting that they're needed for wet weather driving and it could be dangerous to run w/o them in the wet.

The rears require the wheel bearing assembly to be removed but the fronts appear pretty straight forward to swap out.

Annnnddddd the water is going to react differently when it hits the back of the rotor as opposed to the front? Unless you race straight into a lake with glowing orange rotors, water slashing on your rotors will continue to react the same as it has on all cars with rotors for decades, steam off. The only real world advantage to dust shields/splash shields is to keep your suspension components cleaner.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Just pulled mine off when I installed the stoptech kit. Shocks are a touch dirtier now then they were before, but since you can't normally see them anyways it isn't much of an issue for me.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I kept my dust shields with my BBK. I've removed them on past cars and found problems during the sloppy wet winter weather we get here. They make a big difference in winter.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
They make a big difference in winter.

Truth.

I've removed dust shields in the past and my rotors corroded 10x worse in the winter without them on, versus on.

If the car never sees snow or salt, don't bother. Brake dust will travel on to your suspension and other bits, but it's not a big deal. Just run the pressure washer into the wheel well once in a while and clean things up.