GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noise from rear of car

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I don't know, some have posted that the suspension transport bushes are not always removed, every now and then I will hear a sound from mine (sounds sort of like water bubbling) .

Rf860

Passed Driver's Ed
It's a faint noise, but I know it's not right. It's more a kinda popping noise, quite a muffled knocking. I did wonder if it was maybe the shock covers moving up and down

pcr

Ready to race!
Mines the same. Based on what I read on the internet, it is caused by a design error in cars with multi-link rear suspension which VW have known about for a long time, and have tried and failed to fix it. They have instructed dealers to postpone any attempts at a fix. My feeling is that it will not be fixed until the mk8.

Rf860

Passed Driver's Ed
Mines the same. Based on what I read on the internet, it is caused by a design error in cars with multi-link rear suspension which VW have known about for a long time, and have tried and failed to fix it. They have instructed dealers to postpone any attempts at a fix. My feeling is that it will not be fixed until the mk8.

That's ridiculous! My mk5 had independent rear suspension and made no such noises.

You'd have thought vw would sort out known problems before producing a whole new model.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Not good - I don't know what proportion of cars SE -> GTi are affected by this, guessing a small but significant percentage, don't know how much longer Volkswagen UK can continue to bury their heads in the sand over the issue, but they clearly are.

I'm going to start a poll to see if we can establish how many are affected.

Pennine Wanderer

Has anyone come up with a fix for the rattle, possibly suspension related, at the rear of the Golf MK7? I believe only a few cars are affected and VW don't seem to be in hurry to fix the problem.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone come up with a fix for the rattle, possibly suspension related, at the rear of the Golf MK7? I believe only a few cars are affected and VW don't seem to be in hurry to fix the problem.

Surely it's not a case of "anyone" coming up with a fix - the ball is firmly in Volkswagen's court, it's their problem and only their problem. The number of members of this board who are affected is well documented here. Forty nine forum members contributed to the poll, and 35.6% were affected by the suspension noise problem. If this figure can be extrapolated to Golf Mk7 across the board, this becomes a very significant problem. I suspect that the actual percentage is far less than this, but it's still a problem which Volkswagen needs to address - the trouble being we don't know who to believe, some dealers seem well aware, others do not. One member here (the OP) is in communication with Volkswagen UK about the matter, but are they being honest with him or using the delaying tactics that they are well known for.

I only wish there was a visible/tangible answer.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
The bean counters may of struck, I did engineering work (not in the automotive field) we would design a great product and by the time production started cost cutting took place and sometimes the cost cutting lost customers.

pcr

Ready to race!
I certainly will not be buying another VW if this does not get fixed. MY guess is that the fix is too expensive to implement.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
The bean counters may of struck, I did engineering work (not in the automotive field) we would design a great product and by the time production started cost cutting took place and sometimes the cost cutting lost customers.

I suspect you may be right here.

Golfbald

Passed Driver's Ed
One fundamental point is being overlooked: there is no fault with the suspension for VW to fix.

Yes, there is an immediately noticeable noise over bumps on the multi link suspension, and it's acceptability is a matter of personal opinion.
However, now that I know nothing is at fault with my particular car, then I don't worry, as I am happy nothing is going to fall off.
I don't even contemplate trundling off to the dealer to moan about it.

Some manufacturers' models have excessive road, engine or wind noise. But if it's the same with every car made, then there may be a design flaw, but no fault.

In the interest of maintaining customer loyalty, I'm sure VW are beavering away, ensuring it doesn't occur on future models - and some poor sod has got a right rollicking over it!!

Wolksvagen

Banned
From a South African forum -