GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NJ Emissions inspection for APR stage 2 Golf R

Seagull6

Car(s)
2015 VW Golf R Mk7
I have a 2015 Golf R with APR Stage 2 tuning and a DSG transmission. It's the fastest car that I have ever owned, looks great and handles well. The problem is that due to recent changes to New Jersey's emission inspection program, my car won't pass inspection and it's due this month. I called APR and they confirm that it's a major problem and that's why they discontinued the APR Stage 2 product. I spoke to a local APR dealer and he advised that I just scrape the sticker off and if pulled over say that I just had a new windshield installed and lost the sticker.

Does anyone else have a problem with not being able to get an inspection sticker on their APR Stage 2 Golf R? Any advice?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Take off the downpipe and flash back to stage 1. Don't they inspect under your car for aftermarket downpipes?

Please note, however, at any other time, law enforcement has jurisdiction to cite the driver/owner of a vehicle displaying an expired inspection sticker, which could result in fines between $100 and $200 and/or imprisonment for up to 30 days. Additionally, the MVC may revoke registration privileges.

Don't listen to any performance dealer. That's BS, you lost the sticker. The Jersey Staties aren't stupid. The installers used to cut out the old one and you put it against the new glass. And I take it you didn't have the pops and crackles option?

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Flash to stock. Install an O2 spacer. Drive to set readiness. You should pass.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
2018 Golf R with APR stage 2 and DSG here in South Jersey. I went thru inspection a month or so ago and had no problem and posted about it on the local section. They didn't lift the hood but they do drive over a monitor that films underneath your car.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
2018 Golf R with APR stage 2 and DSG here in South Jersey. I went thru inspection a month or so ago and had no problem and posted about it on the local section. They didn't lift the hood but they do drive over a monitor that films underneath your car.
So you had OBDII readiness checked? And you have a DP?

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Fwiw this is a screenshot before I went thru inspection and I passed and yes I have a downpipe
Screenshot_20240210-143137.png

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Nice! It allows for one and you have a tune that doens't disable the readiness. What DP is this? Current APR tunes will pass but if you run a DP you will have a CEL unless it's a GESI/high-efficiency cat or run a spacer.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Nice! It allows for one and you have a tune that doens't disable the readiness. What DP is this? Current APR tunes will pass but if you run a DP you will have a CEL unless it's a GESI/high-efficiency cat or run a spacer.
Downpipe is APR bought just as things were coming to an end

Seagull6

Car(s)
2015 VW Golf R Mk7
I have a 2015 Golf R with APR Stage 2 tuning and a DSG transmission. It's the fastest car that I have ever owned, looks great and handles well. The problem is that due to recent changes to New Jersey's emission inspection program, my car won't pass inspection and it's due this month. I called APR and they confirm that it's a major problem and that's why they discontinued the APR Stage 2 product. I spoke to a local APR dealer and he advised that I just scrape the sticker off and if pulled over say that I just had a new windshield installed and lost the sticker.

Does anyone else have a problem with not being able to get an inspection sticker on their APR Stage 2 Golf R? Any advice?
Even though I had been told by many that my Golf R APR stage 2 would not pass NJ inspection, I took it to the Randolph inspection facility today and passed, no sweat. Thanks for all your input and suggestions. I don't know why it passed but I'll take it.