GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Next gen GTI to come with 240hp/260 ft-lb stock?

allset

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk6 gti
Meh...more of the same...dumbed and powered down for the NA market.

SOOOOO....sick of this bullshit VW pulls every year with every new launch.
platform.

They treat this market like a friggin retarded stepchild with hand-me-down toys.

"HUUURRRRRRRR, stoopid amerrycans ....they wont notice the differences"

bwoodahl

Ready to race!
Meh...more of the same...dumbed and powered down for the NA market.

SOOOOO....sick of this bullshit VW pulls every year with every new launch.
platform.

They treat this market like a friggin retarded stepchild with hand-me-down toys.

"HUUURRRRRRRR, stoopid amerrycans ....they wont notice the differences"

No, and you don't have a clue -> Americans are cheapskates. The average American will not pay $45,000 for a reasonably equipped GTI (Sunroof, Leather, DSG, Dynaudio, Huffs).

Europeans will.

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!
I would agree that most Americans are cheap but I think it has more to do with the fact that for $45K I can get a whole lot more car than a VW GTI.

flug2012

Ready to race!
It's rumored that Winterkorn und Piëch of VW are working on a 4-Motion Golf RS with 375hp, surely if it becomes a reality it will not make it to our shores.

With the pricing in Europe I suppose we shouldn't cry too much about our choices here... Many of my European friends are envious of the fact that European cars are so much cheaper.. Mainly because of excessive taxes in Europe.

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
Doesn't matter how much it comes with from the factory. What matters is stock turbo size/flow characteristics. I could care less about a 240hp IHI from the factory. Cause its probably close to maxed out already. Now a 230 hp K04 would be worth it because of tunability (that a word?).

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
No, and you don't have a clue -> Americans are cheapskates. The average American will not pay $45,000 for a reasonably equipped GTI (Sunroof, Leather, DSG, Dynaudio, Huffs).

Europeans will.

Can't just do a straight currency conversion like that, so many other factors involved.

A base Focus costs "$25k" over there.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion

Europeans will.

I sort of agree, however I don't really consider it being cheap. I have zero interest in any of those options on a GTI, just give me a base manual. For $45,000 I'd be buying the BMW 1-series M (also with no options on it) or something similar.

I just can't see the GTI being worth more than $25k given the prices of everything else here, but that's coming from a guy who is using pure performance as 90% of his value judgement. $45k (really anything $30k+) puts you into serious performance vehicles and the GTI is not a serious performance vehicle.

cacophony555

Ready to race!
Can't just do a straight currency conversion like that, so many other factors involved.

Like what? The only thing we're comparing is how much $$$ VW gets for their car in the US vs UK. A currency exchange gives that.

The reality is that cars are much cheaper in the US, and to be competitive VW has to offer less features, fewer options, and likely take less profit per vehicle.

ps23

Ready to race!
So what...I am sure there will be better cars by the time the MKVII hits the showroom floor. Happy with the MKVI and to be honest, for $26K what I paid for this car is about par on what I got for performance and value. That is why no big deal in adding about $4K in mods. Basically a $30K car with about 265hp or so + tuned suspension.

My next car will have at least 350hp right off the showrrom floor but probably keep the GTI as DD duty.