GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to tuning...

Jared

Ready to race!
So this is my first gti and I was thinking about tuning it most likely with apr and was wondering what the negatives were is there anyway they will be able to detect I had a tune if I take it to get looked and risk my warranty even if I flash it back to stock? Can I keep it tuned everyday and just drive regular? Has anyone experienced any issues and what might I encounter, I'd really appreciate some help and also I couldn't find an exact price I heard it was 700? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
the second vw dealer plugs into obdii port, they will find out you are tuned. even on stock mode, they'll still find out. But it depends on dealer. For instance my dealer does not cover parts that has to do with tune, for instance, if you clutch is toast, they won't warranty it. Yes you can keep it tuned and drive regular, if you drive normally, your mpg will improve, which is another plus.

As of encounterment: IF your car is manual, you clutch will slip at one point and need to replace an upgraded clutch, you won't have the same problem with dsg since its rated to hold 450 hp. Make sure you read review of dealer doing your tune, i don't now if mk7 is different, but to some people when they didn't sealed the ecu probably, it will fry and you need new one which is $1,600.

But not many people had issues with stage 1 on mk6's, so i'm sure its no problem for this one as well. I had no problems with my stage 1 mk6 exception of clutch slip, which is common according to mk6 forums.

Good luck and have fun!!

Jared

Ready to race!
the second vw dealer plugs into obdii port, they will find out you are tuned. even on stock mode, they'll still find out. But it depends on dealer. For instance my dealer does not cover parts that has to do with tune, for instance, if you clutch is toast, they won't warranty it. Yes you can keep it tuned and drive regular, if you drive normally, your mpg will improve, which is another plus.

As of encounterment: IF your car is manual, you clutch will slip at one point and need to replace an upgraded clutch, you won't have the same problem with dsg since its rated to hold 450 hp. Make sure you read review of dealer doing your tune, i don't now if mk7 is different, but to some people when they didn't sealed the ecu probably, it will fry and you need new one which is $1,600.

But not many people had issues with stage 1 on mk6's, so i'm sure its no problem for this one as well. I had no problems with my stage 1 mk6 exception of clutch slip, which is common according to mk6 forums.

Good luck and have fun!!

Sounds good and I'm kind of second guessing it personally I don't think its worth give up a 30,000 dollar warrenty although it would be awesome. Do you have a tune yourself?

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GSW 4mo 6MT
The negatives as of right now are that people are having issues with their turbo, but this may or may not be related to the tune. Stock people are having turbo issues as well. See:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6472

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5276

As far as other issues go, like mentioned above you may experience your clutch slipping. I too came from a mk6 gti, but only noticed my clutch slipping after I went stage 2. Very few people had clutch issues from going stage 1. But this only applies if you have MT. Also I see you're from Illinois. You can get your car tuned at the Volkswagen Dealership in Mt. Prospect. They are mod friendly and they carry APR. When I had them tune my MK6, I paid $800. A little pricier, but I felt more safe since it was from a VW dealership. Plus if they do something wrong, they will cover it. Hope this helps

GTI_PP

Ready to race!
So this is my first gti and I was thinking about tuning it most likely with apr and was wondering what the negatives were is there anyway they will be able to detect I had a tune if I take it to get looked and risk my warranty even if I flash it back to stock? Can I keep it tuned everyday and just drive regular? Has anyone experienced any issues and what might I encounter, I'd really appreciate some help and also I couldn't find an exact price I heard it was 700? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

I wanted to get my car tuned but its a common theme on the forums that with very little miles 1k-2k the clutch will start to slip and if you are unlucky then the turbo blows! I do not think this engine and overall setup that the stock GTI has can take much more power reliably than what comes from factory. The key word is reliably. Sure APR can make a tune and push out some good numbers but what is the point when the car cant handle it?