GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to me 2013 GTi DSG timing chain issue

Blackfintuna

Just recently got a late 2013 with 144k on odometer, the car was well taken care of. I'm thoroughly enjoying the car and want to enjoy it for lots of years to come. One thing I'm worried about is the timing chain and tensioner. Luckily it's a late 2013. But was wondering if I need to replace it anytime soon? Or is there any signs I should look out for if there is any? Thanks to the community in advance!!!!

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I would recommend buying an OBD Eleven for code monitoring as it can also measure chain stretch. IIRC the general internet feeling is if the number is less than 4 you're okay, less than 5 get it done soonish, less than 6 get it done asap.

If you're savvy I believe there's also an inspection port on the timing cover where you can look and see how extended the tensioner is, but I am not familiar with that method.

Absolutely baseless spitballing here but if you've bought the car at 144,000 MILES and no previous record of the chain being done, get it scheduled very soon.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Absolutely baseless spitballing here but if you've bought the car at 144,000 MILES and no previous record of the chain being done, get it scheduled very soon.

This.

I mean, at 144k updated tensioner or not it's time to put this at the front of the list as even if the tensioner doesn't fail, that chain is going to almost certainly be stretched out to where the tensioner can't adjust it enough.

Check that chain with VCDS or OBD11 if it has that capability as mentioned (no experience with that) and/or check it visually, but check it soon. A failure means a new engine, or at least a head and neither is cheap.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
You should have the updated tensioner already but yeah my chain was pretty stretched @ 100k already. I was showing around ~5 degrees cam phase adjustment iirc in vcds block 93 before changing.

Soupcan-Sam

Passed Driver's Ed
I would recommend buying an OBD Eleven for code monitoring as it can also measure chain stretch. IIRC the general internet feeling is if the number is less than 4 you're okay, less than 5 get it done soonish, less than 6 get it done asap.

If you're savvy I believe there's also an inspection port on the timing cover where you can look and see how extended the tensioner is, but I am not familiar with that method.

How do you read those numbers on your OBD? 4,5,6?

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
How do you read those numbers on your OBD? 4,5,6?

It's ECU Channel 93 or titled something like "Camshaft Adaptation Phase"

EDIT: and to clarify on my numbers I'm talking absolute values, so +4 or -4, +5 or -5, etc.

This video is a little old, I think my version of OBDEleven had it as one of the easy access options, but it shows what to look for.