GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Tires, 27k Miles, is alignment needed?

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Hi All,
I am always worried about getting an alignment. I feel if it aint broken don't touch it...

anyway I will be going to Town Fair tire to get these installed and of course they recommend a 4wheel alignment...

Since my rear tires are still good, I plan to replace the front only and then move the them to the back.

Since I do a lot of highway driving I am getting a quiet tire the
Pirelli PZero All Season Plus 235/40R18XL 95Y

Then probably get the other two replaced right after the winter as I will buy all 4 to take advantage of the Pirelli rebate

My dilemma is to Align or not to Align :)
Of course after I get these installed I have to re torque the lug nuts and get the psi adjusted as it is always off, so I don't trust the alignment :(

they do provide a print out of the before and after, but still.. not sure... any advise would be appreciated.
Thank you

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
If your alignment is good don’t mess with it. They are just trying to up sell up you. Zero need for alignment with just tires.

H

Huntermike

Find a shop who does free alignment checks. At 27k you are probably due.

German alignments are not something to be given to a shop without proper training and equipment.

adam1991

Banned
My dealer offers a decent oil change package that includes a bunch of stuff, including an alignment check. Basically, for the price of an oil change and tire rotation, they'll throw in more stuff.

They do it, of course, to try to get more business from you. My 10K change showed a wee bit out of alignment, but nothing outrageous--certainly nothing I'd pay $$$$ for to correct (I have ACC, and it's something like $280 for an alignment).

Of course, they made me sign off that I declined the alignment repair...

Elwood

3-7-77
Geez. How about this? Look at your tires. If the wear is uneven (more on the outside or inside edge), get an alignment. If you've never had an alignment, you should probably get one. Sometimes, it's not very close when it leaves the factory.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
the issue is that Alignment is included in the price when you buy new tires.
I think I might skip it for now, and will do it in about 6 months when I get the other two replaced as well.

I do believe town fair allows you to wait up to six months to get the alignment done
Thank you

Last edited: