GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Member, with "New Guy Questions"

2Germans

Passed Driver's Ed
Well put brother!!!

If you're looking at an Audi S3, then the Golf R has great value in comparison. If you're looking at the Golf R, then the GTI has great value in comparison.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
There is no comparison, functionality-wise, between a small station wagon and a minivan. The minivan is an incredibly useful tool for the job of raising a family.

Never dismiss the right tool because of social pressure.

Where in the OP's first post was there the suggestion that his considerations were being driven by social pressure?

adam1991

Banned
Where in the OP's first post was there the suggestion that his considerations were being driven by social pressure?

He's "trying to convince his wife to get an AllTrack instead of a minivan".

It's a safe assumption. Anti-minivan sentiments are virtually always driven by social pressure.

I'm astounded at how many people insist on using a hammer to pound that screw in, just because the screwdriver imparts a "social stigma".

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
He's "trying to convince his wife to get an AllTrack instead of a minivan".

It's a safe assumption. Anti-minivan sentiments are virtually always driven by social pressure.

He may have tried to convince her for other reasons, like driver experience. Or not. But you made an assumption.

We have two kids and went from a Mazda3 to a Mazda5 minivan thinking we needed the third row, and extra space and versatility. We came to appreciate the sliding doors and ability to load extra large items, but we never enjoyed the driving experience, nor did we appreciate the poor gas mileage. We traded the 5 for a Sportwagen. We just wanted a better driving experience.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
1. How can you find a dealer that actually has new Golf-Rs in stock? I've played on the web multiple times, but most of the dealers the VW site pushed me to don't list any GOLF Rs in stock. I've already had quite a few salesman work me over e-mail to get into a GTI instead of a R.
2. For those that bought the R, was it work the $10K over the GTI for you? I am at a place in life where I can afford it, but can't really tell if the R is going to make me that much happier than the GTI. All-Wheel Drive for the Snow might be the decisive factor, if that really matters between the two cars.
3. If you were me (a trying to be responsible Dad); would you buy a used Golf R (less than 25K miles) or a new GTI?

1) You won't find new ones til the 2018s arrive. 2017s are sold out and there is a hold up on the release for the 2018.

2) It is worth it in my book, actual difference isn't 10k comparing apples to apples new. Lots of people seem to compare GTI S pricing for some reason when you should be comparing autobahn pricing to the R.

GTIs depreciate rapidly, Rs don't. If I sold my R today it would have cost me less to own over the last 2.5 years than a GTI because of all the value the GTI would have lost.

3) Used R- It will have already taken the initial depreciation hit, whereas the new GTI will lose a ton of value as soon as you drive it off the lot. The only real new feature of note for the 2018s is the virtual cockpit and the GTI doesn't get it so yea. R will be worth more than the GTI whenever you sell it.