GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New member and new to golf’s/gti’s. Advice wanted.

Tarou

Car(s)
Hopefully a GTI soon
Hi everyone. New member here looking to get his hands on a used 2017 GTI (be gentle...)

I am very new to volkswagens, and GTI’s in general. I wanted a fun daily driver and after review many posts, and research online, the GTI sounds right up my ball park. I have one in mind, but wanted some advice from you guru if this is a good one to pick up, cautious, or just completely abandon. Here is the Carfax on the car in question. It is from a non-VW dealership. Any input or advice would be helpful. Thanks everyone.

EDIT:
Main concerns:
1.) 36k the ignition coils were replaced
2.) 38k fuel replaced, fuel injectors replaced, intake manifold gasket replaced

Are these common around this mileage?

Last edited:

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Welcome to the form lots of good advice on here. You will love you new gti. It looks like a good vehicle and the fact it was once a cpo makes it a little more valuable. I would check to see if the cpo warranty is transferable to you once you but cause that adds 2 years or 24k miles to it.

Edit. Just seen your concerns after you post I haven't hard of these being an issue but I would be ok with the purchase since they would be all new parts on it so they would only have a few thousand miles on them. But that just my 2 cents.

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
It strikes me as a little odd that one or more of the ignition coils were replaced within 3k miles of each other. Right around the same time the ECU was checked and the fuel system was replaced...

Tarou

Car(s)
Hopefully a GTI soon
I contacted the dealer to see what warranties were still applicable to the car and waiting for them to reply back. I was thinking with the main concerns I had, they wanted to replace the items before selling the car to make it more reliable. Might be a silly question:
Welcome to the form lots of good advice on here. You will love you new gti. It looks like a good vehicle and the fact it was once a cpo makes it a little more valuable. I would check to see if the cpo warranty is transferable to you once you but cause that adds 2 years or 24k miles to it.

Edit. Just seen your concerns after you post I haven't hard of these being an issue but I would be ok with the purchase since they would be all new parts on it so they would only have a few thousand miles on them. But that just my 2 cents.

What is the difference between the original warranty on the car vs CPO warranty?

Tarou

Car(s)
Hopefully a GTI soon
It strikes me as a little odd that one or more of the ignition coils were replaced within 3k miles of each other. Right around the same time the ECU was checked and the fuel system was replaced...

I thought was odd as well. I figured if the checked the ECU and fuel system wouldn’t they know there was an ignition issue accompanied with those checks at that time, and wouldn’t they have just handled the issue all together... or is their a recurrent problem in the foreseeable future for me lol

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
The original warranty is good for 3 years or 36k miles with powertrain is 5 years or 60k miles from original purchase with cpo they are usually just out of warranty but on a 2017 it adds 2 years or 24k miles from cpo purchase so you really have a 5 year or 60k miles on whole car not just powertrain.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I contacted the dealer to see what warranties were still applicable to the car and waiting for them to reply back. I was thinking with the main concerns I had, they wanted to replace the items before selling the car to make it more reliable. Might be a silly question:

What is the difference between the original warranty on the car vs CPO warranty?

here is my take on the situation:

owner 2 buys car, drives for a year and it has an issue that requires multiple returns to the dealer to remedy. Since used prices are ridiculous right now, owner 2 has lost faith in the car, and realizes he can get out of the car for close to, or perhaps even more than what he put into it. Dumps it.

It’s possible at this point the issue is fixed, but it’s also possible that it isn’t. Being untuned or modded and offered as a CPO twice means you’d have the same length powertrain warranty as a non-CPO, but where a used car’s B2B warranty ends at 36K, yours is extended to 60K, concurrent with the base, 5 year/60K powertrain warranty.

so 22K miles of warranty left on a car that just had a decent bit of work done and the guy dumped it.

also if this Ford dealer isn’t also a VW dealer, then it’s very possible that as a 2-owner car that wasn’t inspected/recertified as VW CPO for the 3rd owner, you would actually not get the CPO warranty the 2nd owner had. I am not sure if it’s transferable or on the VIN. Seems to me it wouldn’t transfer the way a factory warranty would, since factory warranty is for the car not the purchaser. CPO warranty is for the purchaser not the car.

I’d look elsewhere.

Last edited:

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Looks like whoever is doing those services is chasing a misfire. Very common for people to throw ignition coils at the GTI trying to remedy the issue, also a good way to waste money. Dealers do a great job getting an error code and throwing parts at it. Ask the salesperson for the service records, they should be able to pull them from the VIN. Check out the tech's notes and see what was reported.

Misfires could be nothing, or the person who leased the vehicle could have launched it at 4,000 RPM every day. One thing to note about GTIs is they are very popular military lease vehicles that get very abused on leases and then turned in needing tires, rotors, brakes, DSG services, alignments, etc.

If you do end up purchasing the vehicle, please have it inspected by an independent mechanic within your return period. At a minimum I would want to see what those pistons look like under boroscope since they did so much work chasing a misfire.

Tarou

Car(s)
Hopefully a GTI soon
here is my take on the situation:

owner 2 buys car, drives for a year and it has an issue that requires multiple returns to the dealer to remedy. Since used prices are ridiculous right now, owner 2 has lost faith in the car, and realizes he can get out of the car for close to, or perhaps even more than what he put into it. Dumps it.

It’s possible at this point the issue is fixed, but it’s also possible that it isn’t. Being untuned or modded and offered as a CPO twice means you’d have the same length powertrain warranty as a non-CPO, but where a used car’s B2B warranty ends at 36K, yours is extended to 60K, concurrent with the base, 5 year/60K powertrain warranty.

so 22K miles of warranty left on a car that just had a decent bit of work done and the guy dumped it.

also if this Ford dealer isn’t also a VW dealer, then it’s very possible that as a 2-owner car that wasn’t inspected/recertified as VW CPO for the 3rd owner, you would actually not get the CPO warranty the 2nd owner had. I am not sure if it’s transferable or on the VIN. Seems to me it wouldn’t transfer the way a factory warranty would, since factory warranty is for the car not the purchaser. CPO warranty is for the purchaser not the car.

I’d look elsewhere.

Sound advice. Thank you for the input.

Tarou

Car(s)
Hopefully a GTI soon
Just got off the phone with the dealership, they sold the car to another buyer. Moderators if you would be so kind to close this thread, I would appreciate it. Thanks everyone. I’m sure there will be more posts like this from me lol.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Just got off the phone with the dealership, they sold the car to another buyer. Moderators if you would be so kind to close this thread, I would appreciate it. Thanks everyone. I’m sure there will be more posts like this from me lol.

feel free to DM me with any further questions, or even if you wanna bounce another possible purchase off me for input.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Car threw misfire codes (which is common on these). Intake manifold runner flaps get stuck open also. Mine failed below 30K and had the same services done.

Tarou

Car(s)
Hopefully a GTI soon
Car threw misfire codes (which is common on these). Intake manifold runner flaps get stuck open also. Mine failed below 30K and had the same services done.

Thanks uberdot. Was this impart on just daily driving with some spirited runs on a stock car or were did you have modifications by then?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Thanks uberdot. Was this impart on just daily driving with some spirited runs on a stock car or were did you have modifications by then?
I had mods but these get dirty valves by 30K on stock, and manifold issues according to the dealer. I believe the manifold is a service bulletin by now.