GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTi paint scratches

Afrobaron

Ready to race!
So at delivery of my GTI from the dealer they pointed out a scratch on the rear of the driver side rear wheel well. They took it in to their shop and tried to polish it out. Success was mostly accomplished. In sunlight I can still see one small scratch, the bad news is now on the rear bumper corner are some new surface scratches, very light and I could even buff them out by hand.
My dilemma is this, they have offered to repaint the area but I am not sure that a blended repaint will be good in the long run. I think my options are:
1. Have them repaint the area.
2. Have them buff out the new scratches, leave the original as is.
3. Ask for a new rear bumper (don't think they will go for this).

Should I also ask for money, accessories, a discount, or something else?

Any opinions on the repaint option?

strongman18

Passed Driver's Ed
What paint do you have? I ask only because I currently have deep black pearl that has blue metal flake. My MKV got hit from behind, I had united grey which was metal flake and the dealer took three cracks at matching and it was a huge fail. (Not trying to bum you out, just relate some challenges I experienced). Your situation is different as this originated with the dealer, so I'd think you would have more pull to have it made right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maka344

Ready to race!
It's a difficult one.

Any repair work will almost always be seen with the uneven colour match. Also, it will be the same with a new bumper as they don't come painted from the factory. The truth is, this is going to happen, as you do more and more miles, you'll pick up stone chips, and slight scratches. So in this case, I'd ask for a nice refund of around £500 and take the issue up with the area manager.

My body work is a bit of a mess in 8 months and 8k miles of ownership (my previous, older cars held up better under the same use). Sadly, the paint is very soft on the MK7 and even having the car washed by a car wash will leave swirl marks in your paint.

Afrobaron

Ready to race!
For the paint color question I have the night blue which does have flake and in my opinion would be hard to match unless a coat of clear was the only thing needed.

I think given the responses so far I may ask for the new scratches to be buffed out and get some kind of a refund for the troubles.

Ronin3

Ready to race!
I agree with Maka

Request a discount and spend the money on a professional detailer who will not only remove the marks on the bumper, but will also lay down some protection on it.