GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Neuspeed Power Module = Clutch Slip

dtanthony

Hey All,

So I recently installed a Neuspeed power module on my 17’ GTI. While I love the extra HP and Torque gains it has yielded, my clutch has started to slip within a few thousand miles of doing the mod. Clearly these stock clutches are not meant to handle any kind of power increase as my GTI only has 26k miles on it now. After removing the power module and going back to stock, the clutch does not seem to be slipping at all now, even at WOT.

So here is what I am wondering:

1) While I do plan on replacing the clutch in the next few thousand miles, are there reasons to replace it ASAP?

2) I am leaning towards a Sachs Performance clutch to handle the power increases of the Neuspeed power module, would I be doing myself a major disservice to not replace the stock Flywheel at the same time?

3) Considering I do not have any plans to further increase power output after reinstalling the power module, would there be any tangible risk of overstressing more expensive components as a result of having a performance clutch installed (even with just the minimal hp and torque gains of ~30/60 respectively that the power module provides)?

4) If anyone lives in the SoCal area and is running either a Sachs Performance clutch or a SB Stage 2 Daily clutch, I would be willing to give up one of my Rosstech VINs to you in exchange to lightly test your clutch setup (DM me if interested).

Thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
1) Only if you want to use the Neuspeed power module.

2) I think it's always a good idea to replace the flywheel with a new clutch.

3) No. Lots of guys say that they won't increase the power and then you get used to the new found power and want more.

anotherwhitemk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I agree with the above and will also add that while the flywheel is off, you may want to consider upgrading the rear main seal to a more stout unit (iABED). Seems to be a common failure point on these engines. Good luck and enjoy the car!

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
If you replace the clutch soon, you reuse the flywheel and save $400...

I believe South Bend has released a clutch disk only upgrade recently for under $400. If you don't plan on going anymore than stage 2 software and don't have poor manual driving habits(most do...matting the pedal in high gear,/low rpm, and excess slipping...), the disk only upgrade will last. I had a disk only upgrade on my Mk6, lasted over well over 60K, street miles, a few dozen track days, and autoX events. It still holding just fine when I sold the car.

With the Mk7...I agree with replacing the rear main with iABED's upgraded unit.

Adding an unsprung disk will increase idle chatter, but not a huge amount...you wouldn't hear it day to day inside the car if you weren't listening for it with the radio off.

info on options located here....

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...-using-dual-mass-flywheel.369006/post-7367027

Last edited:

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
The clutch "delay" valve would reduce shock to the drive train....

The instant you are slowing the clamping of the pressure plate; you are increasing the slip on the disk as the pressure plate is closing....

Think critically about it...which one would be "harder" on the clutch?

dtanthony

The clutch "delay" valve would reduce shock to the drive train....

The instant you are slowing the clamping of the pressure plate; you are increasing the slip on the disk as the pressure plate is closing....

Think critically about it...which one would be "harder" on the clutch?

Sorry man, I am not to mechanically knowledge yet. But sounds like they wouldn’t put a delay valve on the car unless it prevented stress on a much more critical component (the drive train). Thus, the clutch is a much cheaper/ better failpoint of the two and therefore leave the delay valve in, correct?

Martin398

Ready to race!
delay valve is there to make shifting gears more forgiving. it's their for appeal to the masses. it's not preventing any stress. any manual driver worth their salt benefits greatly from removing it. it's a cheap DIY fix and it makes a world of improvement. engagement becomes much less "muted".

26k, would personally replace the fly wheel while changing clutch, wouldn't risk slipping on a new clutch and have to incur labor to remove and install twice

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Any links to removing delay valve. I've driven manuals for 30 years, I hate it.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Any links to removing delay valve. I've driven manuals for 30 years, I hate it.

Yes the information exists on both golfmk6.com and golfmk7.com...here it exist in something title close to "how to make the manual transmission not suck...."

Last edited: