GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need a Retune when removing cat?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I am stage 2 eqt is20 tuned and I was wondering if I remove my catalytic converter and replace it with a straight through pipe, would I need a Retune and if not is it safe for the car to have no cat (back pressure wise)? I also recently installed an awe track catback and wanted to understand what it would change, sound wise, if I remove the cat. Any insight would be appreciated.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
if you're not getting a CEL on that downpipe already, nothing will change after ditching it, the cat is behind the secondary o2. it will be louder afterwards.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
You don't need a retune and it'll run fine. You won't hear much of a difference in sound
if you're not getting a CEL on that downpipe already, nothing will change after ditching it, the cat is behind the secondary o2. it will be louder afterwards.

Any potential boost creep issues? I've heard alot of mixed thoughts on it.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
On is20 you'll be fine, and these turbos are designed well enough where boost creep isn't really a problem.

If you were on a bigger turbo and stock cat, and stock cat was a major restriction... then yes, perhaps a retune would be ideal.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
On is20 you'll be fine, and these turbos are designed well enough where boost creep isn't really a problem.

If you were on a bigger turbo and stock cat, and stock cat was a major restriction... then yes, perhaps a retune would be ideal.
given he's on a stage 2 tune with a cts downpipe (secondary o2 in front of "cat"), I don't think it will matter.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT