GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My experience with Mk7 exhaust combos, drone, and performance (3-yr re-cap)

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Really hard to say. I'd assume so since the muffler is much smaller. But with a cat, a big vibrant resonator, and the exhaust in quiet mode, it's not very loud. The valving works.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Update for everyone:

…disconnect your soundaktor as soon as humanly possible.

A lot of the booming noise, resonance and drone I was experiencing with my cat back was actually induced by the shitty soundaktor amping itself up.

You can disable it with OBD 11, or simply unplug it the way I did. Beautiful improvement on the interior experience!!!

Going to run it this way for a while and see if I still need an additional resonator, or if this is perfect as is.

Happy new year, Mk7 brothers and lovers! 🥳✌️🇩🇪🍻

EdGTIward

Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
Any further updates after you disabled the soundaktor? I recently installed a Cobb catback exhaust on my 2019 GTI and I noticed some drone even after breaking it in. I turned the engine noise down through the engine mode on the car’s computer but have not turned off the soundaktor because I don’t have an OBD 11 (or even know what that is). Thinking about replacing the Cobb resonator with a Vibrant 17950. Any modifications necessary to fit the Vibrant?

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Any further updates after you disabled the soundaktor? I recently installed a Cobb catback exhaust on my 2019 GTI and I noticed some drone even after breaking it in. I turned the engine noise down through the engine mode on the car’s computer but have not turned off the soundaktor because I don’t have an OBD 11 (or even know what that is). Thinking about replacing the Cobb resonator with a Vibrant 17950. Any modifications necessary to fit the Vibrant?
You're on the right track. Disconnecting the Soundaktor is huge. It won't throw codes or have any issues.

But the included resonator on the Cobb CB is substandard for drone control. You don't HAVE to cut it out, however.

Talk to GTI Jake or a local fabricator to get a resonated Vibrant midpipe further upstream towards the downpipe.

A high flow cat is a MUST if you want to eliminate rasp and drone. A good resonator downstream from the cat will fix you up.

I hate when people put ricer exhausts on these cars and make them sound like cut-rate Hondas in a high school parking lot... 😒 🙃

Lemme know if this helps. ✌️ 🤝

-mcs

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I have Jake’s downpipe and midpipe which uses the vibrant 17950. I have a 2018 with the “2.5” OEM tubing. The midpipe reduces down from 3” to the OEM axle back muffler. I love the sound and honestly want a little more. No drone and honestly sounds stock once it warms up and if I keep it under 3k.