GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My CW GTI Daily - Now with K04! - OEM++

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
I personally love the look of a good muffler peeking out at you from just below the bodywork, but painting it satin black looks surprisingly fantastic! Love that you left the tips as-is -- good contrast.
Yeah I would normally agree with you entirely, but the OEM muffler doesn't look as good dangling there half rusty compared to a nice aftermarket stainless muffler in which case I would have left it. Sadly in my area the police are ridiculous, so no chance of an aftermarket exhaust for me, making the best of the OEM one was the only option!

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
The GTI got a bit of a "facelift" today. Full front end respray to repair 8 years of rock chips and lowered car abuse. Had them redo bumper, fenders, and hood. Repaired the slight start of paint peeling from rolling the fenders, and a few cracks in the front bumper from general lowered car scraping over the years. Looks like a million bucks! Also finally had those fog light grille surrounds painted and installed, and had the grey lower grille "facemask" paint matched, as I feel it really changes the look and modernizes the front end of the Mk6! Sadly, he forgot that I had asked to have the front plate holes filled and not re-installed, so the front plate relocate will need to wait, but the remainder of the project turned out phenomenal!

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Ugh, that paint-matched lower grille fascia is just the right move. Looks fantastic!

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Ugh, that paint-matched lower grille fascia is just the right move. Looks fantastic!
Thank you! I agree completely, just the right move, kinda modernizes the car a bit, looks a lot more similar to a Mk7 now head on. Saw a white Mk6 GTI on the highway like 2 years ago that had it done, the car looked all stock to me, but had the paint matched grille surround, and I LOVED the look, knew I wanted to do it ever since then.

torga

Autocross Champion
Mine's black, which hides the grille surround nicely... but even so I still want to paint match it! It'd be a great detail.

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Well, I didn't want to do this... But a change in career has come up, and I will be moving to the big city to pursue my dream job. As a precaution for living in the big city, parking outside, and commuting in traffic levels I have never even imagined, I invested in a dash cam for the car. Hardwired up yesterday, Thinkware F200 Pro, front and rear camera's with GPS. Tried my best to keep the install clean, tucking the wires through the pillar and headliner, then all the way around to the back of the car. The cameras are hardwired, and monitor battery voltage, so it can record in "parking mode" when motion is detected, but will shut itself off if the battery in the car is looking low.

Last edited:

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
I just got one and haven't spent the time to install it but I need to.
Install was honestly kinda fun, I have always been scared to try anything electrical, so finishing up a wiring job like this successfully feels good. Hardest part of the entire job is getting the damn Airbag label off the A pillar to remove the single bolt and get the a pillar cover off so I could properly route wires behind curtain airbag, and getting the wire through the boot to the hatch if you have a rear cam as well. After that it was a breeze!

Ko4ruel

Love the car, progress and the write up! Keep the good work up! Oh and I agree on the k04! Whole diff beast man!

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Replaced my 034 Motorsports dogbone insert with a proper new dogbone bushing by HPA Motorsports (Softest 75a Red), the 034 unit served me well for a while, but over time caused the OEM rubber bushing around it to wear out. The slop in the drivetrain was getting pretty bad, and wheel hop made launching impossible, if you spun the tires too bad, it felt like the entire front end of the car was going to tear itself apart. HPA dogbone bush in, and the driveline slop is solved! This is the perfect compromise of NVH to performance. There is a very slight increase of vibrations at idle, and a notable increase in vibrations when you first take off from a stop, I would guess this is a DSG only quirk. But overall, it's easy to live with in my opinion. Performance wise, it's very noticeable, throttle response is improved, full throttle shifts feel quicker and more confident, very happy with this addition. Unfortunately, you can't buy these new anymore, but I recently began to work at HPA and this used piece was laying around in the shop for years unclaimed so I was allowed to take it for my Mk6!

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
I don't think extra vibrations during take off is DSG only. I'm 6MT with APR dogbone and both 034 inserts, and I've always had more vibrations upon 1st gear takeoff than at any other point.

Sweet gig at HPA!

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Next mod! HPA Motorsports Stage 3 Extreme Performance DSG tune! First off, I want to ensure everyone that I have no intentions of turning this build thread into an ad for my new job, as a matter of fact, I don't even think we can sell you this exact software revision anymore, unless you are a local customer and can do it in house. I will obviously be picking up more and more HPA products as time goes on, as I love my workplace, the quality of the components we make, and I get a killer staff deal on many items!... But I also had a modding life before I worked with them, and have a ton of their direct competitors parts on my ride as well. This thread is, and will always stay my journal of my time with this car, and my honest opinions and reviews of any part I choose to add, HPA or other brands! All claims and opinions on any item here are mine, and mine alone, and I document this stuff mostly so I have a reference back for myself, but also because I love talking cars and sharing with the community!

Anyways, with that out of the way, today I replaced another mod I already had, from APR Stage 2 DSG --> to HPA Motorsports Stage 3 DSG!!

First off, I did like the APR tune, everything I said about it in my past post still stands, it was a large improvement over stock, but I still thought it could be a bit better, and I was right! With the HPA tune drivability is just that last 10% improved, at low speeds, the car drives slightly smoother at low RPM, but it's still a DSG, it still has its quirks and clunks and is imperfect. Shifts when moving are way smoother, still fast, still crisp, but just more seamless. Drive mode seems like it might be a bit more conservative than the APR mapping, shifts a bit lower, more like OEM, but has a very intuitive mapping, where when you give it just a bit more throttle, it knows what you want and drops a gear without hesitation. Sport mode is similar to APR's mapping, but is a little less eager to downshift and stay in too low of a gear for any length of time. Where the APR tune would downshift at the lightest brush of brake, this tune requires a bit more of a jab to do the same. Overall, it suits my driving style better, I think its a big step in the right direction for a sporty daily driver! An odd but kinda cool coincidence, this tune DSG farts way more than the APR tune, if thats ur thing, Its kinda fun to hear those again... Still has all the same features I wanted to keep, gear readout in D and S, multi level launch control, kickdown switch disabled in manual and probably more I am forgetting. This tune also has increased clutch clamping pressure, and supports up to 500 Ft Lbs, so it should be way more than I ever need for my K04!

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Today I replaced my aging OEM DSG shift knob, with a BFI GSB DSG shift knob. I love the oldschool golf ball throwback design, and the MK6 is one of few cars that had this on a DSG from factory, so I wanted to keep the general style. This was the perfect replacement, seems to be very good quality, has a nice feel in the hand, and I love the upward lift lockout to replace the button style from OEM. Overall quite happy with the product so far!!