GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my 2015 GTI with 38,xxx miles is having clutch issues...pedal wont return back to top

goblues38

Ready to race!
Car(s)
20 GTI & 15 GTI
of course.....tech just called.....the car drives fine....we dont think there is anything wrong with it.......grrrrrrr. told them to keep it a day or two

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Was at it all intermittent, or does the tech just 'not know your car.'

On the drive in, was it there every depression of the clutch? Man, sometimes I hate the process. I had a KNOWN rear speaker seal leak, but they didn't believe me. I straight up told them, its leaking from the speaker.

First time- could not replicate (BS)
Second time- we see it leaks now after further test but its DEFINITELY not the speaker, replaced door seal. (BS)
Third time- fixed.

goblues38

Ready to race!
Car(s)
20 GTI & 15 GTI
on the 15 mile drive in...i drove fine...except.......the clutch pedal still feels way too soft.......but it did not "hang" like it has.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Try a sharp hard right turn and push the clutch pedal in right after the car is straight again...if the pedal sticks or feels weird, it's the thrust bearing. At that point head to the dealer and trade it in.

goblues38

Ready to race!
Car(s)
20 GTI & 15 GTI
Try a sharp hard right turn and push the clutch pedal in right after the car is straight again...if the pedal sticks or feels weird, it's the thrust bearing. At that point head to the dealer and trade it in.

Will try it.

goblues38

Ready to race!
Car(s)
20 GTI & 15 GTI
update.....good news...bad news......

The found the problem....clutch slave is leaking and dumping fluid up into the bell housing.......needs new slave for sure........needs new clutch for sure...........hopefully, does not need new flywheel. so $2,300 - $3,100 is the estimate right now. I specifically asked if they checked the crank bearings for movement and they said yes they checked, and there is no issue with crank walk.

So...good news it is just a clutch........good news it is not crank walk......bad news it may also need a flywheel.

before anyone posts about it....it is my 19 year old daughters car......not interested at all in putting aftermarket "go fast" parts on it. sorry.....when you become a dad, you become part of the no fun crowd :)

cb1111

The found the problem....clutch slave is leaking and dumping fluid up into the bell housing.......needs new slave for sure........needs new clutch for sure...........hopefully, does not need new flywheel. so $2,300 - $3,100 is the estimate right now. I specifically asked if they checked the crank bearings for movement and they said yes they checked, and there is no issue with crank walk.

So...good news it is just a clutch........good news it is not crank walk......bad news it may also need a flywheel.

before anyone posts about it....it is my 19 year old daughters car......not interested at all in putting aftermarket "go fast" parts on it. sorry.....when you become a dad, you become part of the no fun crowd :)
Don't you have a trusted indy? That should save a chunk of change

goblues38

Ready to race!
Car(s)
20 GTI & 15 GTI
Don't you have a trusted indy? That should save a chunk of change

I don't...not for work like this. I have a great body shop, but just have not had the need to have cars wrenched on like this for years. I already told them to dive in. I will have a few more drinks tonight and forget about the costs for a while.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
this is the best news you could have gotten here, IMO. Cost aside. It's a shame such a low mile example got hit with this, and needs a new clutch, but I was so worried for you.

I'll have a few drinks myself!

goblues38

Ready to race!
Car(s)
20 GTI & 15 GTI
this is the best news you could have gotten here, IMO. Cost aside. It's a shame such a low mile example got hit with this, and needs a new clutch, but I was so worried for you.

I'll have a few drinks myself!

2nd best news.....best news would have been just a slave was needed. But it leaked fluid into the bell housing and soaked all the friction material. I was prepared to spend $2k already....$3k is just icing on the cake.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Great job keeping her safe :D

goblues38

Ready to race!
Car(s)
20 GTI & 15 GTI
Great job keeping her safe :D

Well. Safety is one of the big reason why she is in a GTI. This is her 2nd GTI.

Someone pulled out in front of her in her totaling her 2014 Mk6. Nothing she could do, but the car kept her safe.

The 2015 getting a new clutch.

My 2020 and will be my 2nd daughters in 3 years.

cb1111

Sending a letter to VW asking for a goodwill repair can't hurt and they may pay part of the costs. It'll needs to be a real letter though

Last edited: