GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Replaced my existing front lip with another lip...when there's nothing wrong with the one I had:rolleyes:.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Probably never gets cold enough in AZ, from outside the car SAI makes some interesting sounds below freezing
It's impressively well insulated from inside the car too. I never noticed it until I started my car in the garage with the windows already down. But from outside the car, yeah, it's interesting all right.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
It's in the low 40's when I leave in the morning and I can just barely hear it. Must need to be below freezing to get the interesting sounds.
That's shorts weather here.

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Intakes. /thread

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Ohh it defenitly makes some interesting noises, but doesnt seem to have the Vader noises for that long.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
IMO the turbo inlet pipe should be deleted from the original waste of money mods list. After the stock filter its the most restrictive part of the intake and is much smaller than the rest of the intake piping, creating a restriction.

The rest of the stuff, obviously is a waste of money from a performance perspective.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
IMO the turbo inlet pipe should be deleted from the original waste of money mods list. After the stock filter its the most restrictive part of the intake and is much smaller than the rest of the intake piping, creating a restriction.

The rest of the stuff, obviously is a waste of money from a performance perspective.

I stand by the list, the intended use here isn’t “don’t ever buy this stuff” but rather what you shouldn’t bother with until the most important mods are done:

-Tune/Jb4

-Motor mounts (or dog bone insert at minimum)

-Tires

-RSB

-Intercooler

-Downpipe

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
I have seen a few posts from members not just new to the GTI, but to car modding in general, that have asked this type of question. It should go without saying that most us on the forum aren't rational about cars, so this probably doesn't apply to us. We're going to change things on our cars just because we have the desire to, not because it necessarily makes any sense, LOL. A couple of things to remember though, some peoples' initial mods are going to be guided by budget, tool availability, and mechanical knowledge. It's been a few decades, but I recall not so fondly diving headfirst into suspension mods as a teenager with only standard household tools and no garage to perform the work. In my humble experience, an adjustable wrench should NEVER be used on a car, and NEVER get under a car without jack stands!

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
And it's freezing our asses off weather here. 😂
I didn't tell the complete truth. At my age, I'd much prefer your weather Jim. My teenage son however, thinks it's okay to wear shorts to Baseball practice/workouts anytime it's above freezing. :rolleyes: (Can't tell the kid anything, he must get that from his mom)