GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVII GTI -Metallic Rattle. Please help.

okcookie

Ready to race!
So, I went to the dealership today. Second time I've been because of the rattle. The shop manager and another manager took a ride with me. I drove and reproduced the rattle throughout most of the drive. I don't think they could really hear it, or it sounded normal to them. I was told that the sound is basically normal. They wouldn't do the fuel line fix, or try to insulate the fuel lines... so I guess I'm on my own. I may try the ziptie fix or try to carefully use sound dampening insulation in the channel that holds the lines. Hopefully it's easy.

BTW, I asked to drive a showroom GTI. It made the rattle too. Guess it's "normal" or really common.

DAS_STIG

Banned
So, I went to the dealership today. Second time I've been because of the rattle. The shop manager and another manager took a ride with me. I drove and reproduced the rattle throughout most of the drive. I don't think they could really hear it, or it sounded normal to them. I was told that the sound is basically normal. They wouldn't do the fuel line fix, or try to insulate the fuel lines... so I guess I'm on my own. I may try the ziptie fix or try to carefully use sound dampening insulation in the channel that holds the lines. Hopefully it's easy.

BTW, I asked to drive a showroom GTI. It made the rattle too. Guess it's "normal" or really common.

What is your cars production date? Mine is 08/14 and was supposedly past the vin # range yet had the issue, if that helps.

okcookie

Ready to race!
Ask how much it will cost for them to check. Tell them if loose they cover under warranty. If ok, then you might be out some $. If you pay, ask them to secure or pads more as you are paying for it. Or remove panel yourself and check as you stated. Keep us up to date. I have this fuel line issue on my dealers list to check on my new car when it comes. If they refuse to check I plan the tell them it will be hell if I have to drive 1.5 hours back to dealer for anything on my list. I am giving them early notice of past issue.

I'm really annoyed by the dealerships refusal to check for me. I guess my next step is to try to get them to address the issue by doing what you suggested - ask them how much it will cost to check. I'm bringing the car back in early next month for an issue with my heated seats... also supposedly common. They shut off after about 45 minutes of constant use on high and refuse to turn back on without me power cycling the car. Dealer ran a scan today and found "faults related to a safety feature" in the heated seats. Couldn't complete the scan, so I need to bring it back. Getting a loaner this time.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I'm really annoyed by the dealerships refusal to check for me. I guess my next step is to try to get them to address the issue by doing what you suggested - ask them how much it will cost to check. I'm bringing the car back in early next month for an issue with my heated seats... also supposedly common. They shut off after about 45 minutes of constant use on high and refuse to turn back on without me power cycling the car. Dealer ran a scan today and found "faults related to a safety feature" in the heated seats. Couldn't complete the scan, so I need to bring it back. Getting a loaner this time.

What kind of monster are you that you can have the heated seats on high for 45 min straight? !

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Heated seats on high for 45 minutes?! :eek:
It's been as low as 5 degrees around here in the morning when I've gotten in my car, and I dial the seat heat down to 1 after they warm up - which is only about 10 minutes.
Yes, I'd imagine that there is a thermostat which cycles the seat heat on and off.