GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 TSi Spring options

sjgharib

Car(s)
2017 Golf TSi
I've been researching to understand the details around lowering my 2017 Mk7 TSi M/T, but it honestly is very confusing because of the data intermixed with the GTI and the R.

1. From what I can gather, the factory GTI springs, when installed on a TSi, would actually lower the car by about 15-20mm. Is this correct? Has anyone done it?
2. If you look at specs for GTI springs, the amount lowered is "relative" to the original ride height, correct? So looking at the sticky thread on springs, if a spring is advertised as lowering the GTI by 1" all around, if you put those same springs on a TSI, you get even lower (this is validated by some springs giving lowering amounts for both GTI and TSI, where the TSI is lower). However what confuses me is that some say they lower the same amount for GTI and TSI. I don't think you can have it both ways?

So ultimately - is it worth buying TSI springs that specifically call out 1" lower, vs GTI stock springs that one can generally get less expensively?

McBrian

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf 4D 5MT
It's been done and you do get a bit of lowering but it's a lot of work for a tiny change, especially considering the huge range of coil over options for our platforms.

sjgharib

Car(s)
2017 Golf TSi
So filtering through all the discussions, it was hard to find input from the non-GTI guys. What's the consensus on good springs for the TSI that get rid of the "lifted" look?
I was hoping for 1-1.25" off of the TSI ride height (not the lower GTI)…

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So filtering through all the discussions, it was hard to find input from the non-GTI guys. What's the consensus on good springs for the TSI that get rid of the "lifted" look?
I was hoping for 1-1.25" off of the TSI ride height (not the lower GTI)…
Can't go wrong with H&R or Eibach.

sjgharib

Car(s)
2017 Golf TSi
Unfortunately it looks like the DG springs from VW have been discontinued. Lots of places advertise them, but when you order they come back with "sorry, we can't get them".

So what's the closest aftermarket equivalents? I really liked the idea of using VW parts, but unless someone has a spare set they want to sell me, I'm not sure where to get them... (yes I tried Ebay)

Thoughts?

Kris12V

Passed Driver's Ed
Unfortunately it looks like the DG springs from VW have been discontinued. Lots of places advertise them, but when you order they come back with "sorry, we can't get them".

So what's the closest aftermarket equivalents? I really liked the idea of using VW parts, but unless someone has a spare set they want to sell me, I'm not sure where to get them... (yes I tried Ebay)

Thoughts?

I just saw a set for sale in the classifieds (DG)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Why not OE GTI springs?

sjgharib

Car(s)
2017 Golf TSi
Thanks! I sent him a note.

There are lots of threads about springs, but GTI folks start interjecting the changes that occurred on their cars and it completely throws off the data.

I just want to make the car look like it's not a Subaru CrossTrek. I already bought the Bilstiens for adjusted springs.

sjgharib

Car(s)
2017 Golf TSi
Why not OE GTI springs?
I thought that, but then others have said that the change is very minimal, like 15-20mm vs the 20-30mm from the DGs
But again, all anecdotal. I would love to see before / after pics of a TSI 5M/T with GTI springs and DG springs vs original...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I thought that, but then others have said that the change is very minimal, like 15-20mm vs the 20-30mm from the DGs
But again, all anecdotal. I would love to see before / after pics of a TSI 5M/T with GTI springs and DG springs vs original...
Can also try R springs.

sjgharib

Car(s)
2017 Golf TSi
Can also try R springs.
Not sure about that - the R rear springs have to be different as they account for the extra rear weight of the diff etc. The corner weights are different all around. I suspect R springs might statically look lower (becuase they're shorter?), but then their stiffness would be too high...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Not sure about that - the R rear springs have to be different as they account for the extra rear weight of the diff etc. The corner weights are different all around. I suspect R springs might statically look lower (becuase they're shorter?), but then their stiffness would be too high...
The spring rate difference is v. minor. Anytime you lower a car you have to increase the rate or you'd be slamming all the time.

sjgharib

Car(s)
2017 Golf TSi
So it looks like the DG springs are discontinued, and the ones for sale are spoken for...

What's the closest aftermarket equivalent?

I also tried to see if anyone has put R springs on a TSi but I haven't found anyone posting their experience...