GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 TSI 1.8 APR Stage 1 - Scheduled

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
Not to be a downer, but this part definitely isn't true, as far as the original VW warranty goes anyway. Not sure how the language is worded in the aftermarket or if they would even know about Tuning.

VW only has to prove you've violated the terms of the agreement. They scan the car, it shows the TD1 code, flag for ECU tuning. They won't honor the warranty and you would have to eat the cost of the repair if you blow the turbo.

It makes sense I would eat the cost if I blew the turbo.

So let's take a poll. How many of you have blown your Turbo after a Stage 1 tune? Or had other warranty issues due to a Stage 1 tune?

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’m at 70k on my gti, apr tuned almost all of those miles.

With that said I’d suggest is20 and Jb4 in your situation. A dog bone insert and intercooler upgrade would help you get the most of that set up but not a requirement.

I’m very happy with APR, never had a single issue, but if warranty is a concern Jb4 is really the best way to go

mk6-k

Ready to race!
Yo, I'm 74, I have a 16 GTI, 2 door, APR Stage II, pushing over 325 hp, plus some other mods. HAVE FUN!

All,

After a lot of thought, and some research I have scheduled a APR Stage 1 tuning on my 2015 Golf TSI 1.8 . If anyone feels obligated too talk me out of this - now's the time. For what it's worth, I don't plan on track days, or drag racing. I'm in my 60s and am looking for a bump in power on rare times I need it.

Stay tuned. Tune will happen Wed this week.

- w

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
Plot thickens...

I just got a recall notice from VW. A no charge replacement of a shifter switch including new circuit board. (I assume this is not the ECU.) So Maybe have the recall done first, then the tune. I guess I'll talk with the tuning shop about this tomorrow.

Arghh...

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
I’ve had my stage 1 tune for about a year now with 27k got it at 22k. Love power, though you do get used to it soon especially since I daily mine over 50-100 miles. Was going to do the IS20, had it but sold it before install. Have an APR downpipe now on too along with a AWE exhaust but will sell the Down pipe as I won’t need it now with the IS20.

My clutch is finally starting to slip in 3rd consistently though so do consider that if you get on it often.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Had an issue relating to that recall that got covered by my warranty two months back. My Golf obviously has been modded out, and the dealer didn't even care.

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
Had an issue relating to that recall that got covered by my warranty two months back. My Golf obviously has been modded out, and the dealer didn't even care.

Thanks for the note. I guess my concern is getting flagged by the dealer once, then being denied warranty if something like the water pump fails.

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
I’ve had my stage 1 tune for about a year now with 27k got it at 22k. Love power, though you do get used to it soon especially since I daily mine over 50-100 miles. Was going to do the IS20, had it but sold it before install. Have an APR downpipe now on too along with a AWE exhaust but will sell the Down pipe as I won’t need it now with the IS20.

My clutch is finally starting to slip in 3rd consistently though so do consider that if you get on it often.

How aggressive do you drive it? Floor it daily? Or more casual driving?

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
Yo, I'm 74, I have a 16 GTI, 2 door, APR Stage II, pushing over 325 hp, plus some other mods. HAVE FUN!

I guess the age race thread is on again. 79 years and driving a ‘15 SE MT PP DCC & LP. APR Stage One, Sachs SRE clutch and Enkei Raijins with Conti DW summer tires.

Beyond bragging about my age/auto interest is not my only motive for writing. I too am considering further upgrades after 35,000 miles. Larger turbo, bigger intercooler, or ??. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Juggar

Ready to race!
I guess the age race thread is on again. 79 years and driving a ‘15 SE MT PP DCC & LP. APR Stage One, Sachs SRE clutch and Enkei Raijins with Conti DW summer tires.

Beyond bragging about my age/auto interest is not my only motive for writing. I too am considering further upgrades after 35,000 miles. Larger turbo, bigger intercooler, or ??. Suggestions would be appreciated.

What on earth??? You're nearly 80?

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!

I salute your age, and wisdom. Also, I wish these kids would get off my lawn.

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie

At 79 and 66 there is no waiting, if you have the means pull the trigger now, what are you waiting for? [emoji16][emoji106]

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Since you're not looking for the maximum power I would go with the APR tune or Cobb. Cobb would be less expensive and you could flash back to stock if for any reason you would want to. With APR you would have to go back to the APR approved shop to flash back to stock. If you went with an IS20 turbo it would cost $1000 + and you would still have to pay for the labor and the tune which would put you over $3000.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
Good for you, I hope I get there. Still looking for a few more horses and torque.