GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I just now realized that my GTI has a significant amount of negative camber in the rear. What's the factory alignment spec? Or maybe it was modded by the previous owner?
Rear camber spec for the GTI/R is 1.75deg +/- 0.5deg, which is noticeable...... If your car is lowered, it would increase the camber as you lowered the ride height....
Compared to the front axle camber spec which is only 41' +/- 30' (~0.68deg +/- 0.5deg) on the GTI, its considerably more.

1666909326911.png

1666909344822.png

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/stock-alignment-specs.9498629/

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I must be oblivious, what are we looking at? Pictures look like normal taillights...
Driver's side tail light has a weird reflector thing. Like where a rear fog would be maybe.
Same happens to my mk7, and I also don’t have a euro switch.. Trying to figure out how to get rid of it because it does bother me when I try to take pictures from behind
I went out last night to take a few pics of mine; I continue to think it's inherent to the Mk7.5 "low" aka NAR inner tails and is some odd quirk of the reflector housings. Check it out, looks quite similar to yours. It's only visible from certain angles and while I certainly wish it weren't there, it's not something I'm ready to move to the Euro LEDs to correct (especially after having completed the ROW amber turn signal mod already.)

Attachments

• IMG_5615.jpeg
    IMG_5615.jpeg
    883 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5616.jpeg
    IMG_5616.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5617.jpeg
    IMG_5617.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39

Shams

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Ah, okay. I see the difference in yours, but not the others.
any idea on how to turn iff the LED?
I went out last night to take a few pics of mine; I continue to think it's inherent to the Mk7.5 "low" aka NAR inner tails and is some odd quirk of the reflector housings. Check it out, looks quite similar to yours. It's only visible from certain angles and while I certainly wish it weren't there, it's not something I'm ready to move to the Euro LEDs to correct (especially after having completed the ROW amber turn signal mod already.)
it seems similar but mine is an actual LED light you can see at all times if my taillights are on. I’m new to mk7’s and very new to working on cars in general so i’m not sure how to get rid of it.. From your pictures yours look way better than the state mine are in.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
it seems similar but mine is an actual LED light you can see at all times if my taillights are on. I’m new to mk7’s and very new to working on cars in general so i’m not sure how to get rid of it.. From your pictures yours look way better than the state mine are in.
You have the 7.5 Euro LED tails; the light you're seeing is the actual rear fog light. You will need the Euro headlight switch to properly control its functionality (though @ZERO815 may have a way to just disable it if you don't want to use it at all.)

Shams

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
You have the 7.5 Euro LED tails; the light you're seeing is the actual rear fog light. You will need the Euro headlight switch to properly control its functionality (though @ZERO815 may have a way to just disable it if you don't want to use it at all.)
Is the Euro Headlight switch just a plug and play? Or is there any coding I would need to learn as well?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
After washing and drying my car, if I push on my roof right by the shark antenna, bubbles come out from underneath the rubber gasket. Is that normal? Is that indicating that water is getting through my roof into my headliner?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
After washing and drying my car, if I push on my roof right by the shark antenna, bubbles come out from underneath the rubber gasket. Is that normal? Is that indicating that water is getting through my roof into my headliner?

Mine does the same, and no water on my headliner.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Are suspension components like bushings typically covered under CPO warranty? (67k miles)

I assume not, but just checking and hoping.

Last edited:

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
What's the recommended anti-squeal stuff for brakes? My Stoptech pads were fine when it was warm out, but since it's getting cooler, some squeals are starting to rear their ugly head

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
What's the recommended anti-squeal stuff for brakes? My Stoptech pads were fine when it was warm out, but since it's getting cooler, some squeals are starting to rear their ugly head
I got this stuff below from O'Reilly's. The CRC stuff wasn't available around me but I think realistically any brake grease will do the job. Took a couple drives before the squealing fully went away.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...versachem-synthetic-caliper-grease/ver0/26080

Last edited:

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI SE 6MT
Is the Euroswitch for MK7.5 only if you want to control the rear fog independently (assuming front fogs are turned on)?

If I pin the harness for my MK7.5 Euro tails for rear fog without a euroswitch installed, will the rear fog turn on automatically when the front fogs are on, or will they not turn on, will I throw a code, etc.?

I want to install my euro tails and code them (ideally for rear fog), but don't want to install a euroswitch yet. I also don't want to have to pull the trim and change the pins on the drivers inner after I install it.