GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

timarthur1983

Car(s)
golf mk 7 gt
Stupid question! But I can't seem to shift gears manually with my DSG - I flick shaft to left but it wont go up or down to change gears. Any ideas?

1L19

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I've occasionally thought it would be cool if someone made an insulated CF panel to replace the sunroof glass. Expensive, but it would drop a lot of weight from the worst area to have it, plus it would look cool.
I had no idea what a CF panel was until just now. I don't know how much that glass sunshine roof weighs but it must be as you said. A LOT of weight. Maybe you're a fabricator and you just don't know it yet. :cool:

1L19

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Stupid question! But I can't seem to shift gears manually with my DSG - I flick shaft to left but it wont go up or down to change gears. Any ideas?
That's kind of crazy. I hope you get it worked out and I do feel sorry for you... unless you support Chelsea or Spurs in which case I hope your gearbox explodes and you drive straight into the river! ⚽

viewsonic9

Car(s)
2018 GTI- Autobahn
I was excited to move back to DE until I remembered that all the driving here sucks.

Good roads in green, boring roads in red:
View attachment 218886
You are right about that! I just got my 18 GTI and have been looking in DE. There are some roads that cut through White Clay Creek park (Rt 72 to Rt 896) that are pretty good. That's pretty much what you have in green... Then you can take 896 into PA and some of the roads off of that are good. Let me know if you have any others. Always looking to add...

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
You are right about that! I just got my 18 GTI and have been looking in DE. There are some roads that cut through White Clay Creek park (Rt 72 to Rt 896) that are pretty good. That's pretty much what you have in green... Then you can take 896 into PA and some of the roads off of that are good. Let me know if you have any others. Always looking to add...
Brandywine town center to Hockessin or vice versa via this route. Also, drop in on the DE thread https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/delaware-anyone.322401/

Screenshot_20210708-153131.png

viewsonic9

Car(s)
2018 GTI- Autobahn
Awesome - Hockessin was my old stomping grounds. That stretch of 82 will be a lot more fun with the new ride. Thanks for the DE link - will check out.

KTap

Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
I've got a question for you fine folks:

I just installed some aftermarket paddle shifters on my DSG GTI, and I'm getting a check engine light now. I then drove around for a bit and they work fine, but no luck in removing the CEL. I'm having a hard time finding people who experienced something similar. Any idea what could be happening?

I put the stock ones back on and the CEL has disappeared.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

I just installed some aftermarket paddle shifters on my DSG GTI, and I'm getting a check engine light now. I then drove around for a bit and they work fine, but no luck in removing the CEL. I'm having a hard time finding people who experienced something similar. Any idea what could be happening?

Paddles shouldn’t set off a cel. Did u get the code scanned for the cel?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

The paddles themselves are entirely mechanical, zero interplay with the electronics. No way this would set off a CEL. Scan the code.

KTap

Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
Thanks for the responses. I was really confused when I got the CEL, and more confused when it went away after putting the stock ones back on.

I don't have a way to get the code currently, but I'm getting an OBDeleven delivered on Saturday so I'll try to put the paddles back on again then (if I don't strip those stupid pins too badly). I'll update here after.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
OK.. Here's my stupid question.. Can I mix a few gallons of E20/30 fuel with an almost full tank of 93 in my OTS tuned IS38 Alltrack? Would I see/feel any tangible benefit?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
OK.. Here's my stupid question.. Can I mix a few gallons of E20/30 fuel with an almost full tank of 93 in my OTS tuned IS38 Alltrack? Would I see/feel any tangible benefit?
No. It would lean you out

but if one filled up with bad gas, adding a single gallon won’t hurt any

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Yes, but it depends on just how much you add. Our ECU is capable of adjusting for a pretty wide range of E content, something like +/-10% from what you're tuned for (don't remember the exact limit). Most gas is already E10, so adding a gallon of E85 to a full tank would still keep you under E20 overall, which the ECU will handle just fine if your fuel pump can keep up. If you go nuts and get yourself to 30 or 40, you can cause problems. As for benefit, without being tuned to take advantage of it, there's no additional timing, so no extra power, but you may noticed improved spool/reduced lag. And your gas mileage will be a little worse.

Last edited: