GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I found all this, and just wanted a simple answer. I don't want to have to read into it. You could argue that everything on this thread is "just Google it". I was asking to save myself the hassle. Thanks for the info though.

So its a 45mm turbo?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sorry for the long winded response. I thought that it would be better to have a full understanding of the answer than just a quick reply with the answer.

I could just say Google it, but I did a bit of research and posted my findings. In hindsight it did seem like I may have come off that way. Not my intention. More of a "look here at this info I found out after a bit of research I did on your behalf". :cool:

To directly answer your question
54.0 mm Exducer - Compressor. This is typically how folks measure the turbo compressor size.
The inlet size is "42.5 mm Inducer".

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Sorry for the long winded response. I thought that it would be better to have a full understanding of the answer than just a quick reply with the answer.

I could just say Google it, but I did a bit of research and posted my findings. In hindsight it did seem like I may have come off that way. Not my intention. More of a "look here at this info I found out after a bit of research I did on your behalf". :cool:

To directly answer your question
54.0 mm Exducer - Compressor. This is typically how folks measure the turbo compressor size.
The inlet size is "42.5 mm Inducer".
Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
what is a boost gauge for , why is it important to have, and do i need one if im DSG

Shows how much air your turbo is shoving into your engine. It's important to have so you can put a number to it and in turn be able to diagnose if you are having any issues with your turbo system (leaks, overboost, etc). DSG doesn't make a difference with the need for a boost gauge.

In short, not really necessary if you are not going to modify, and are "in tune" with your car and can tell if there is something wrong with the way it is running when you boost

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Also, there is a boost gauge and other performance gauges in the menu on the infotainment screen. Press the “car” button to the right of the screen, and then select “Sport” from the lower left menu on the screen.

Remember to subtract atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi) from the boost gauge value displayed.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
two non-important questions.

How does VW figure out estimated range? I know on Ford it would measure the fuel level and do the math using your average mpg reading over the previous 500 miles to give you the estimated range.

Why does it do it in 5 mile increments? I know it ain't incredibly accurate and understand normally you can go a fair amount past that I'm just curious why they don't pretend to be more accurate.

dub_guy

Ready to race!
two non-important questions.

How does VW figure out estimated range? I know on Ford it would measure the fuel level and do the math using your average mpg reading over the previous 500 miles to give you the estimated range.

Why does it do it in 5 mile increments? I know it ain't incredibly accurate and understand normally you can go a fair amount past that I'm just curious why they don't pretend to be more accurate.

It's a math computation based on current fuel economy and fuel level. It's updated pretty realtime based on current driving, so I'm not sure on the time base. For example on the weekend, I got on the highway and started driving. 30km of driving later and my range did not change as the fuel economy got better.

Why pretend accuracy on a number that is a guesstimate? For my Canadian car, it is 10km accuracy.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
How much rain does it take to trigger the wipers?

It rained for like a minute on my drive today. At first it was a drizzle and then there was a bit more, but good enough where I had to engage the wipers manually. The rain sensing wipers didn't turn on by themselves.

I checked the settings and say that it was checked.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion

It rained for like a minute on my drive today. At first it was a drizzle and then there was a bit more, but good enough where I had to engage the wipers manually. The rain sensing wipers didn't turn on by themselves.

Did you check the sensitivity? I don't have rain sensing on my GTI but just like in a manual system you
Need to adjust it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Why does my car sometimes honk when I use the remote to lock it, when most of the time it does what it is programmed to do and stays silent?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

You need to have the wiper speed selector in the "up one click" position at all times for them to be triggered. If it is at its "neutral" position, the wipers are off. bump down once to wipe once, up one click to put it in auto wiper mode, up more for continuous wiping. The raindrop markings indicate how much rain is needed to trigger them I believe

Last edited:

dub_guy

Ready to race!

Did you have the wipers in what would have traditionally been the intermittent setting position? The settings are Off > Auto > Lo > high

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
i think it may be a certain speed you have to be travelling for the auto wipers to start. I had auto wipers on when i turned on the car the other day during a rainfall and the windsheidl was basically soaked but the wipers would only go on after i started moving i think around 40kmh