GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Just thought of a stupid random question:

Where do you store your phone/wallet in the car? Currently I put my phone in the storage compartment just forward of the gearstick connected to USB, but I can't get the door to close. To keep the beautiful look of the interior, I'd love to close that compartment once my phone is inside, but my iPhone 7 Plus is slightly too large. My wallet gets placed in the cup holder, along with my keys. I've thought about using the storage compartment to the left of the steering wheel, but that's where I leave my parking card for work. Another issue is that it's somewhat difficult to get my phone in to the storage compartment, as the gear stick is in the way.

Just wondering how everyone is staying organized.

Or just try something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjag6EnAJvU&feature=youtu.be

basqueinthesun

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so im trying to tighten up the "play" in my manual transmission and can't figure out which parts I should be looking at, I'm looking at ECStuning's website and torque solutions specifically. I recently installed a boomba short shift adapter which is amazing, but there's still some loose play that I'd like to clean up- should i be looking at shifter cable bracket bushings, solid shifter cable bushings, shifter mounting brackets? All of those? this is my first car i'm modding and am pretty clueless, thanks in advance

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Ok so im trying to tighten up the "play" in my manual transmission and can't figure out which parts I should be looking at, I'm looking at ECStuning's website and torque solutions specifically. I recently installed a boomba short shift adapter which is amazing, but there's still some loose play that I'd like to clean up- should i be looking at shifter cable bracket bushings, solid shifter cable bushings, shifter mounting brackets? All of those? this is my first car i'm modding and am pretty clueless, thanks in advance

Besides the short shift adapter there's the shifter bracket if you want to eliminate the transmission play, also there's the ECS bleeder block (or you can do it for free, just click in this link: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14745&highlight=bleeder+delete

I would say that after that you should be free of transmission play.:cool:

JRowland

Just thought of a stupid random question:

Where do you store your phone/wallet in the car? Currently I put my phone in the storage compartment just forward of the gearstick connected to USB, but I can't get the door to close. To keep the beautiful look of the interior, I'd love to close that compartment once my phone is inside, but my iPhone 7 Plus is slightly too large. My wallet gets placed in the cup holder, along with my keys. I've thought about using the storage compartment to the left of the steering wheel, but that's where I leave my parking card for work. Another issue is that it's somewhat difficult to get my phone in to the storage compartment, as the gear stick is in the way.

Just wondering how everyone is staying organized.

You could try this, 2 for $9. It mounts to any vent, that is the only disadvantage I guess. I find the other 3 are enough, plus I rarely use the vents aimed at my face. I shut off the flow to the one on the driver side center and mount the phone sideways. It was cheap enough for me to give it a try and I actually like it. My wallet stays in my pocket as well as the key fob so I have no advice there. Door pocket or center console I guess if you need both cupholders. If you are a girl you could go for that hook that mounts to the passenger headrest, it was posted in the thread about subtle cosmetic mods I think.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K3YOA8K/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_5_w/167-7949957-1649658

ZUREK

I have these two weird ports on my 2017 Golf inside the glove box. What are they for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpinKix

Passed Driver's Ed
Haven't bought my GTI SE yet, but have a question.

I don't store music on my Nexus Android phone.

I just want to store music on the SD card in the car.

How do Android Auto and MIB2 get along together?

Can I be playing music from the SD card (don't know if AA can play it, or MIB2 has to) and hear the phone's Google nav voice prompts over the music?

Do I have to manually switch between MIB2 and AA to make a phone call while listening to SD card music?

I've watched a ton of videos, but they just show AA or Apple Car Play in action, and they switch back and forth between MIB2 manually.

How's this work?

Last edited:

TechRoss

Ready to race!
Haven't bought my GTI SE yet, but have a question.

I don't store music on my Nexus Android phone.

I just want to store music on the SD card in the car.

How do Android Auto and MIB2 get along together?

Can I be playing music from the SD card (don't know if AA can play it, or MIB2 has to) and hear AA nav voice prompts over the music?

Do I have to manually switch between MIB2 and AA to make a phone call while listening to SD card music?

I've watched a ton of videos, but they just show AA or Apple Car Play in action, and they switch back and forth between MIB2 manually.

How's this work?
You don't have to use Android Auto at all, in fact a lot off us don't have it activated. You can just use Bluetooth to play music from your phone etc.

If you are asking about having AA running and playing music from SD then I am afraid I am not sure.

SpinKix

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there a way to see what cars/configs are headed to a dealer? Is there a website I can check out with this info. I could've sworn I've read about people ordering and checking incoming inventory and such..

The VW of America website is pretty good at providing information to find a car, even ones on the way to dealers.

1. Go to http://www.vw.com and click on "BUILD YOU OWN" on the left of the page. Enter your zip code. Go through the process and configure the exact one you're looking for. When you're finished, you should be on the "SUMMARY" page.

2. Scroll down on the "SUMMARY" page a bit and look in the middle for "INVENTORY" and click it.

3. Click on the blue "VIEW INVENTORY", and check out the cars available in the sales district of the dealer closest to the zip code (see below). The ones on the way will show "IN TRANSIT" below the picture of the car. Click on the picture to show the dealer.

If you want to contact the dealer through the VW website, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "CONTACT DEALER" but be careful. Make sure you scroll up a bit to where it says "Let's Meet" and click "The dealer with this car" otherwise by default it's your local dealer.

Now, here is something I learned from a salesman.

Don't know if this applies everywhere, but in SoCal it does.

The inventory you see in the search is grouped by VW dealer districts, not by geographic area. The databases are separate.

You won't see a match 10 miles away if it's in a different district.

And it can be crazy. A dealer 10 miles from Los Angeles is based in the San Diego district with dealers 120 miles away.

The zip code you entered for the search in step 1 determines the inventory that is searched. So change zip codes and do more searches to find everything in your area.

The easiest way is to go to the inventory search results page (not the dealer page) and scroll up to "Inventory near You".
On the line below you can change the zip code.

Last edited:

SpinKix

Passed Driver's Ed
You don't have to use Android Auto at all, in fact a lot off us don't have it activated. You can just use Bluetooth to play music from your phone etc.

If you are asking about having AA running and playing music from SD then I am afraid I am not sure.

What about navigation, does it work over Bluetooth?

My problem is storage on the phone. Just 32g.

If I knew I'd be using it for music I would have bought one with more memory.

Here's a random question... Although mainly about the mk7.5...

I have heard that the 7.5 has moved the ACC sensor up to the front emblem. Can anyone confirm? If confirmed, what do you think the chances are of retrofitting that updated sensor into a mk7? Would be great to remove the crazy square cutout the ACC has now.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Here's a random question... Although mainly about the mk7.5...

I have heard that the 7.5 has moved the ACC sensor up to the front emblem. Can anyone confirm? If confirmed, what do you think the chances are of retrofitting that updated sensor into a mk7? Would be great to remove the crazy square cutout the ACC has now.

Nothing is impossible, the dealer will need to recalibrate it, i imagine that it won't be cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruiser

Ready to race!
It says something similar to "car currently in motion, press again to turn car off".

I pressed it twice quickly, thinking I was toggling through the driving modes.
Car turned off. It was rude! :eek: