GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

fsr1

Passed Driver's Ed
I was shocked by this the first time it happened. Thought my accelerator was stuck or something, but now I know to just tap brakes or hit cancel.

On the reverse side, when you're cruising along and come upon a hill, you can just downshift and keep on your way without resetting cruise.

I get it and of course the DSG behaves this way, but I have 30+ years of manual GTI experience that is hard to forget.

rrohde1

Passed Driver's Ed
In the market for a new phone soon, so I am wondering - what works best with the 2017 MkVII's infotainment system iOS or Android? My current phone runs BlackBerry OS, so I have really no idea. Thanks.

I haven't used Android with mine, but my iPhone has been flawless with my 2016.

I hear that Android Auto is a little temperamental at times. Can't confirm because my app connect is not activated.

Infotainment aside, I like android better since it's more customizable and works with obd11. I personally hate the ios interface, having to pay ridiculous money for chargers, and the other general bs that is Apple. I'll stop now before I get flamed. Lol

All that said, it seems I should be shooting for Android then.

However, does VW 'officially' prefer Android or Apple? Or are leaning more towards one or the other? Or are both interfacing equally well with the infotainment system?

From what I understand, Apple seems to work without an app, while Android requires an app?

Still on the fence here.... :)

TechRoss

Ready to race!
Apple carplay just works, android you need Android auto. I seriously would not choose my phone based on my car. Both work with App Connect. I'm and Android user so am bias towards that the last few years after being a apple fan boy for many years before that.

rrohde1

Passed Driver's Ed
So what's "Mirror Link" then compared to App Connect? Sorry about these questions, but coming from BlackBerry OS I have really no clue!

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Wonder how long windshield wipers have had their activation mechanism on the steering column? This is not just VW of course, but most car makers. Because putting it on that stalk is crazy. It should be on the dash, like the headlights are. That way it wouldn't be so easy to accidentally hit it when doing rapid wheel movements, causing the driver to look and feel like a dork because: 1) It's not raining 2) The wipers are dragging over a dry windshield, damaging the rubber and making a horrible noise. 3) Other drivers, and maybe your passenger, look at you like, "Hey, you dork, it's not raining!"

The above is a "random question" and comment, although imo not stupid. The stupid part should be reserved for the person who originally designed this method of wiper activation.

TechRoss

Ready to race!
So what's "Mirror Link" then compared to App Connect? Sorry about these questions, but coming from BlackBerry OS I have really no clue!
From what I understand mirror link is basically you see what is on your phone screen on the cars infotainment screen. I am not sure if you can interact with it directly though.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
My stupid question (as I mentioned in another thread) is:
Why don't manufacturers put a 12v socket in the overhead console so people can plug accessories in? For instance a radar/laser detector or a dash cam.
To even make it better, they should add a switch that gives it constant power or power switched with ignition.
It seems so simple, and so important that it boggles my mind on why it's not done.

pip86

Just thought of a stupid random question:

Where do you store your phone/wallet in the car? Currently I put my phone in the storage compartment just forward of the gearstick connected to USB, but I can't get the door to close. To keep the beautiful look of the interior, I'd love to close that compartment once my phone is inside, but my iPhone 7 Plus is slightly too large. My wallet gets placed in the cup holder, along with my keys. I've thought about using the storage compartment to the left of the steering wheel, but that's where I leave my parking card for work. Another issue is that it's somewhat difficult to get my phone in to the storage compartment, as the gear stick is in the way.

Just wondering how everyone is staying organized.