GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
i don't think you can prove it but traditional wisdom is wait till oil temp is about 180 or so before hooning. It also is a good idea to avoid driving hard and putting it away wet. Not unlike stretching before exercise and cool down afterwards
Luckily my house is deep in my neighborhood so it always has time to cool down on my way home.

p.s. I’m also old enough to remember sitting in my srt4 letting the turbo cool before shutting it off. Turbo timerzzzzzz

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
The oil will continue to circulate through the turbo after you've turned the car off. Still not best to park it right after hooning, but not as bad as the old days of turbo timers.
Luckily my house is deep in my neighborhood so it always has time to cool down on my way home.

p.s. I’m also old enough to remember sitting in my srt4 letting the turbo cool before shutting it off. Turbo timerzzzzzz

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Leatherique is a pain to use, but works great. It is a two part system and to really do it right, you want to do it warm weather (but you can cheat it Colorado).

This is counter-intuitive but the Rejuvenator is used before the cleaner.

Put your car where it will get sun - lots of sun.

Put Rejuvenator on your steering wheel (or seat or whatever you want to clean).

Put a trash bag over your wheel. Close up the car and let it steam all day.

Use an old white towel (white so you can see al the crap it takes off and won't transfer anything) to wipe it off.

Slather on Pristine Clean (the second part) and let it sit for a couple of hours before you wipe it off.

Unless you've got actual physical damage (tears for example), then your leathers will look pretty close to new.

Re-do it every 6 months or so.

I told you it was a pain in the ass.
You’re a legend. Gonna go get it from my brother in law. Thanks

cb1111

You’re a legend. Gonna go get it from my brother in law. Thanks
Don't thank me until you've done it. You have an autobahn - so leather seats. Do them too if you can let your car sit over the weekend.

The way this stuff works is simple - in very simple terms, the rejuvenator soaks into the leather (even the coated automotive leather) and lifts all sorts of crud to the surface. The Pristine clean then removes it from the surface.

If you've done it right, then the leather bits will come out looking like that matte finish the leather had when new.

There is a huge warning though - you might end up dumping that current stuff you like.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Don't thank me until you've done it. You have an autobahn - so leather seats. Do them too if you can let your car sit over the weekend.

The way this stuff works is simple - in very simple terms, the rejuvenator soaks into the leather (even the coated automotive leather) and lifts all sorts of crud to the surface. The Pristine clean then removes it from the surface.

If you've done it right, then the leather bits will come out looking like that matte finish the leather had when new.

There is a huge warning though - you might end up dumping that current stuff you like.
i doubt i will dump the ice. its the cheapest best long lasting protectant i have ever used. but for some reason it doesn't seem to jive well with the steering wheel's leather.

cb1111

wtf is our steering wheel made of then?
The steering wheel cover (the bits your hands touch) is leather. ICE is made for plastic parts.

See if your brother-in-law has some Aerospace 303 for the plastic parts. Dilute it 50/50 with water and you'll send that ICE stuff to zricky :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

cb1111

Am I the only one that finds this picture very weird? Look at it quickly.

1613007981000.png

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The steering wheel cover (the bits your hands touch) is leather. ICE is made for plastic parts.

See if your brother-in-law has some Aerospace 303 for the plastic parts. Dilute it 50/50 with water and you'll send that ICE stuff to zricky :ROFLMAO:
Nah. It works on leather too. All surfaces. For whatever reason the seats look well hydrated and protected with the ice stuff. But the wheel doesn’t.

cb1111

Fuck. Read it wrong sorry. Thnx

ice has worked on the seats just fine up until now
Maybe I wrote it wrong, In any case, if you look at the link I posted, you'll see that it says that it is for plastic and trim and they have other stuff for leather that isn't called ICE.

Use that Leatherique stuff and you may change your mind about ICE.