GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I got burned badly once, never again.

About 20 years ago (!) I put up for sale on Vortex, a euro 50mm intake from my 2L Scirocco 16V, that was also polished. Rare in the first place (we got a NAR-only 42mm intake here in the states), and the polish job was first rate. Put it up for sale for $600. Some guy on Vortex wants it, and sends me 2x $300 postal service money orders, which clearly looked 100% legit to me (and they were). Deposited them in my checking account, and shipped the intake the same day. A week later it's delivered in Newark NJ (red flag #1!). The very next day I get a notice from my bank - my deposit has been rejected because the money orders were CANCELED by the buyer. Huh? Yep, you can buy a money order, then claim you lost it and simply cancel it. Had some Vortexers do a fly-by and check the delivery address - VERY sketchy multi-unit building where the delivery was apparently attempted at an unoccupied unit, then the perp met the driver there the next day upon re-delivery. I reported it but of course nothing ever happened. I had NO idea it was that simple to just cancel a legit money order. Today we have more modern payment solutions, but they can still be compromised if the buyer isn't careful.

Moral of the story: suspect EVERYONE you don't know. NEVER use "friends and family" option on PayPal - it's a huge red flag if someone wants you to. It only saves a very small % of the sale amount, but removes all buyer protection. And never buy from a newb on the board - another huge red flag. Buy from some old crusty fcker like me or Fed. We might be cranky at times but at least we're honest!

Chicken wannabe

Car(s)
NONE YET!
Hi there! As my username implies, I'm a wannabe in the sense that I never had a Golf but I'm about to buy a simple Mk7 in a couple of months. And I'm a chicken because I don't want to get my hands dirty since I'm not a mechanic at all. I do understand a lot of concepts, though. I'm a Canadian so I'll go with the Canadian trims. I plan to get a Trendline 2016 (base model here) with a 1.8 TSI.

So, as my first stupid newbie question on this forum, I want you to know what I want to do with the Golf when I'll get my hand on it, and if there's a bad idea or if you have any suggestions.

1) Replace the tiny 15" wheels and tires by 17" (but I've read that 18" gets strangely gets way better lateral force Gs. Not that much of a diffrence with 16", apparently).
2) Sway bar at the rear, since I've read the car under steers.
3) If available for my ECU, I want to tune up to Unitronic Stage 1.

In the future, probably new brakes and see what more can be done with the suspension.

About #3, If a Unitronic dealer find the ECU is incompatible, is there a way to buy a compatible one? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Elwood

3-7-77
1) Great idea.
2) Good idea.
3) Big Bang for the buck, but shop around for a good deal. Maybe from someone else.

Check out Golfdave's DIY threads for the GTI brake upgrade. About $500 makes a huge difference.

Elwood

3-7-77
Thank you!

Only one question before I check the thread you suggested: Do OEM GTIs share the same brakes system as the standard models?
The standard GTI (non-PP) has the same calipers and pads as a Golf all around, but larger front disks. The mod consists of larger rotors for the front (dust shield is the same) and GTI caliper carriers to move the calipers out. That's it. You don't even need new pads. It's insane how big a difference it makes.

Chicken wannabe

Car(s)
NONE YET!
The standard GTI (non-PP) has the same calipers and pads as a Golf all around, but larger front disks. The mod consists of larger rotors for the front (dust shield is the same) and GTI caliper carriers to move the calipers out. That's it. You don't even need new pads. It's insane how big a difference it makes.

Thank you very much, sir. I've been looking for this info without calling anyone for a few days!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
how in the CRAP do you even get to the highbeam adjustment knob in the 7.5 LED headlights????? That joker is waaaaay behind the headlight.....do you have to go in through the wheel well liner?

It's #1 in the pic
Screenshot_20200310-080454.png

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Let's talk about data logging with a Cobb AP. For the life of me, I cannot get the items I want to log. Even if I select AFR, IAT and boost ONLY, I get current gear and AFR to show up. I didn't even select current gear yet it continues to show. I have gone back and cleared out, unselected all things and started fresh, but still the same problem. I have no preset to select from and I have restored everything to default.

I still get the current friggin gear showing up.

What gives?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Let's talk about data logging with a Cobb AP. For the life of me, I cannot get the items I want to log. Even if I select AFR, IAT and boost ONLY, I get current gear and AFR to show up. I didn't even select current gear yet it continues to show. I have gone back and cleared out, unselected all things and started fresh, but still the same problem. I have no preset to select from and I have restored everything to default.

I still get the current friggin gear showing up.

What gives?

Is current gear a default setting?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Is current gear a default setting?
No idea, but I've cleared everything and it's actually unchecked when I go into select log criteria

So for those tracking....I tried just ONE data point....IAT....and it won't show it! It defaults to AFR or boost....and those AREN'T selected.....I only selected IAT.

What the crap?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So for those tracking....I tried just ONE data point....IAT....and it won't show it! It defaults to AFR or boost....and those AREN'T selected.....I only selected IAT.

What the crap?

anyone?