GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI autocross GS weight

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I think big turbo puts you in STU class against pull modded STI's and Evo's.

STU being in Street Touring provision, cannot alter actual hardware to the stock engine. You can run aftermarket ECU but not running beyond stock boost through the programming, if boost were to be increased its only done with the replacement of downpipe, cat, or intake.

In Street Prepare:

Turbochargers and/or superchargers (forced induction) may not be added, changed, or modified (this does not allow ceramic coating of turbochargers). On vehicles originally equipped with forced induction:
a) No hardware changes or alterations to turbocharger(s) or supercharger(s), in size or number, are permitted. Turbochargers or superchargers may be updated/backdated only in conjunction with the accompanying complete engine unit.
b) No changes are allowed to waste gate(s) size, number, or location. No changes are allowed to variable-geometry turbine (VGT) hardware.
c) No changes are allowed to supercharger drive system pulleys. Belt tensioners may be added/changed to reduce belt slip.
d) No changes are permitted to blow-off/pop-off valves.
e) Compressor bypass valves (CBVs) are considered part of the air intake system and may be added, replaced, or updated/backdated independently of the other components of a forced induction system.
f) Boost regulation systems, either electronic or mechanical, and electronic fuel cuts referencing boost pressure may be altered or modified except as prohibited herein. Boost pressure changes resulting from authorized changes are permitted.

So you can't run different Turbo in DSP.

Whereas in Street Mod(or Street Mod Front wheel drive, SMF), there are not restriction aside from the engine has to be the same make as the car.

Whackamac

Ready to race!
Oh yeah, and just a muffler-delete with a Magnaflow muffler installed where the resonator used to be. Surprisingly quiet too.

I came up with this exhaust setup back in October. I really like it.

I "invented" this magnaflow configuration and hack back in 2013 when I had my Focus ST. My "whackamac custom magnaflow exhaust" is still voted the best sounding for the ST on the forums...

Didn't get the same sound out of the GTI though. But I got the same flow as a really expensive cat-back for pennies on the dollar...

Totally worth it!

Whackamac

Ready to race!
Actually I am not sure if you replaced turbo you'd even be in DSP, probably SMF.

DSP lets you run more boost, but I don't know if you can go to a bigger turbo.

Yes I'll be at Belle Isle. Feel free to bug me as much as you want when you are there, lol.

No big turbo for DSP. Just boost adjustments/tunes. You can't adjust boost pressure in STU either. I haven't researched what class I would be in if I did a big turbo yet as I would probably go to a Golf R instead...

I will be looking forward to a DP and stage 2 tune in the near future after my Golf R intercooler gets installed and my GTI gets it's repairs from a ditch last week...

- from the current NHA Hillclimb DSP King.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Your right SM class is what I meant when going BT... I didn't have the list in front of me lol.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Looks like a couple of the near by regions have had some pretty good drivers switched to a PP GTI and got decent results. One of which I should see this week at the Toledo Match Tour...looking forward to that...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Well that didn't work out so well. I had terrible weekend in general, and neither did PP GTI find a lot of time. The class was all STs in the top 6...bummer.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Also to note, the the PP GTI was weighed on Friday also. The car is a 2 dr, PP, DSG with LP. Running on Advanti Racing HY Hybris 17x7.5 with 245/40/17 tires. Neuspeed Catback, and Neuspeed 25mm RSB. It was 3000lb even.

jdlavelle1975

Passed Driver's Ed
It feels as though the Focus ST's might have a little edge on the MK7 GTI (PP or not). The way the car rotates combined with a very quick-spooling turbo and an 8" wide wheel, really seem to add up. I've driven both with different forms of prep, and they are really close.

The big part of the equation might be driver skill level, as nationally competitive guys seem to be fast on just about anything.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
If nothing else we'll always see more of ST just because of the pricing advantage, which will also mean more parts for the car and more development. But I think some will look GTI's way.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
As posted on the other thread, PP GTI 2 Door with Lighting package, 2961lb with Ultimate Racing's Catback with 2 rear muffler and no resonator, 26mm H&R RSB, Enkei Fujin wheels with 245/40/17 RE71R(~70 runs), and about 3/8th tank of gas.