GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Golf R is a rare breed in USA.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
This would explain the monthly letters I receive from the 2 somewhat local dealerships, trying to buy mine...
I laughed at a girl about a month ago when they called and said they wanted to lower my interest rate by getting me into a new golf.

They're probably not getting a ton of new cars right now, and when inventory does come in it's sold quickly. All they can really do is try to get some used cars so they can keep the money coming in. We're taking in used boats that normally we would never try to resell.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I shared this previously.... regarding their rarity:

There is 11,340 MK7 Rs (~3,800 avg/yr) and 8,884 MK7.5 Rs.... (~3,000 avg/yr)

Total of 20,224 Golf R (Mk7/7.5) in the entire US.....

1618629988760.png

If you disregard Golfs, around 13% of MK7s were Golf R Mk7s and about 18% of MK7.5s are Rs (NOT COUNTING 2021 when the R was discontinued)

They are rare even here in Miami..... I usually see one every other month.....

edit: I did a stupid guesstimation that if the Miami metro area has around 2.5 million people, or 1/110 of the country's population... then there should be around ~180 Golf R's in my area....

I wonder what a Toyota Camary or Honda Civic would look like comparatively? Would show how "rare" an R actually is.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I live in Arizona (where you dont exactly need AWD) and I very rarely see them. At most, one a month....and I drive quite a bit.

I'm in Buckeye and frequent the greater Phoenix area regularly. I hardly ever see a golf R. Maybe one in the last 2 months, and it had Cali plates and was obviously a person traveling through the state on i10. Even euro / VW car meets I frequent only have maybe 2 or 3 Rs at the most.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I wonder what a Toyota Camary or Honda Civic would look like comparatively? Would show how "rare" an R actually is.
I owned a car that was about 10 times more rare, yet it's funny, I've lived in Laguna Beach, Dallas and Austin since I had my M Coupe, and in every one of those spots, a person within walking distance has had one. Now it's a guy two doors down, although he failed the color test and has boring ass silver. And I love silver on the Mk7, mine was silver, I just hate silver and black on the M Coupes.

Mine was red with black interior and on my commute, a guy had a red one with blue interior (yikes!) and people confused us for each other all of the time. It was pretty funny to cut through traffic with him around in two relatively rare cars.

mfrench2022

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk7.5 r

Toyota sells approximately 25-30k Camry's a month in the US. The civic is typically around 20-25k a month. Really depends on the economy. The sales figures are pretty easy to find actually. It looks like the numbers are slightly down from this time last year though. So they each respectivly sell more cars a month than the entire production run of the mk7/7.5r.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
SEPA here, I don't see Rs that often, but I also don't see a ton of GTIs. I saw an eGolf for the first time the other day though, that was pretty neat. I waved, I don't think the driver realized that we were (nearly) twins -- looked to be a Pure White mk7.5 eGolf.

Personally, I didn't have the money for a Golf R, and even if I did, it just didn't make sense as my GTI is a fun/weekend car on a budget -- I paid around $22k to have my attainable dream car, and if I had another $18k it'd be put into more mods, and adding onto our garage to make it into a three-bay. I don't deny the R is an awesome car, but I'm having plenty of fun with my GTI.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
They're practically a dime a dozen in the Bay Area, but to be fair people's car buying tastes out here are exceedingly European. You see a ton of hatches and wagons on the road especially in the greater Marin area where I'm currently at.

A shame really, looking at what people drive here you'd never know that everything that isn't some plastic-clad lifted monstrosity is practically going extinct nation wide. Not to say they aren't there, but rather you actually get a healthy mix of body styles.

68wooley

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG/DCC
I've had my R for about 3 weeks now. It replaced a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth. I've seen more R's in three weeks than I saw 124s in 4 years of owning that car.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I've had my R for about 3 weeks now. It replaced a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth. I've seen more R's in three weeks than I saw 124s in 4 years of owning that car.
Ha, I saw a 124 yesterday and was trying to think of the last time I'd seen one. They are rare, and I'm sure even more in Denver.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I rarely see Rs in SoCal and have only seen 3 in 3 years. Plenty of GTIs though.

My 2006 Volvo V70R was even more rare. I probably should have kept that one.