GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 NAR market AFS tweaks

Amtup1991

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Here is the write up for the tweaks. Keep in mind that the following directions were created by using OBDEleven. The tweaks can also be done with VCDS, with some of the names being slightly different. Google Translate is your friend. These tweaks are only applicable to the facelift cars '18+ with the LED headlights. The tweaks have been tested on a '19 GTI SE and two '19 Alltrack SEL's. Please post your results after making the tweaks so we can compare any differences between years and models.

Warnings:
1: Make a backup of the Multifunction Module 4B.
2: Make sure that your car is parked on a flat and level surface with the steering wheel completely straight.
3: Pay close attention to the channel names. The names are case sensitive and punctuation sensitive. There are multiple names that are very close to each other. Any changes other than the ones listed may have unintended results.
4: After making the changes, run the two settings adaptations listed. Only run those two.
5: DO NOT CHANGE THE REGION SETTING! On previous cars this worked, but on the facelift models it doesn't. Changing this caused all sorts of errors, everything from front turn signals to communication and more.

Steps:
1: Turn on the car, but do not start it
2: Enter the Multifunction Module 4B
3: Make a backup of the coding
4: Enter the Long Coding section
5: Change the following entries to the following values:
Headlight Regulation > not enabled​
Dynamical_Low_Beam_Light > enabled​
rain_light > enabled​
highway_light > enabled​
All-weather lights > enabled​
6: Apply the changes. In OBDEleven press and hold the check mark. You should get a message stating that the changes were accepted.
7: You will get multiple errors displayed on the dashboard. That's expected and they will be resolved next.
8: Exit the Long Coding section
9: Enter the Basic Settings section
10: Select Basic headlamp setting. Then run the setting by pressing and holding the check mark. You should get a message saying that the setting has started.
11: Go back to the list of settings
12: Select Acknowledge basic setting. Then press and hold the check mark to run the acknowledgement
13: Exit out of the Basic Settings section.
14: Start the car. The lights should perform their normal adjustment and self-check when the car is started.

Results:
I noticed that the headlights were faster to respond to steering input and their movement range has increased. Both the low's and high's were more responsive. The delay and smoothing factors that were being applied are gone now. This happens at low speeds, highway speeds, and interstate speeds.

I noticed a small difference in the visibility when driving at night in the rain. Things appeared to be illuminated slightly better. Almost like the beam pattern was evened out.

Some people may not like how fast the lights move after this. There is a way to get an in-between setting, about halfway between the before and after tweak speeds. Let me know if you want that setting too.

If you're interested, please give the tweaks a thorough test and let me know what you find. I'd like to get as much data on this as possible. Hopefully you notice the same things that I did.

One last thing to note:
There are lots of options under the Long Coding section that pertain to the additional functions that the DLA headlights support. Unfortunately we don't get those as a factory option in the US. A retrofit may be possible, but it would really depend on how the headlight connectors are wired. The options for the different functions are all in there, along with several things labelled with Matrix Headlights.

I apologize for reviving an old thread, however I followed through the steps on my ‘19 Golf R and now I have two fault codes that I can not get to clear. I attached a photo for reference. I did everything just as it says in the directions. I did go on a test drive last night after making the changes, as I read somewhere that someone said it went away after they test drove their car. However, that was not the case for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, these changes really changed the movement of the lights and i love it! Definitely better illumination and much quicker to respond. All of my lights were working and functioning as they should as well.

-Austin

Attachments

• B0DB82E7-65F1-4C2D-8127-D6AF7CB6D6A6.jpeg
    B0DB82E7-65F1-4C2D-8127-D6AF7CB6D6A6.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 95

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I gotta say, this had some pretty adverse effects for me, namely that my cornering lights no longer seem to come on, and the auto headlights seem to turn on waaaay too early (despite being set to late.) Does this look like when someone's headlights should be on?

@Reggie Enchilada I un-did each of the 5 settings you indicated and re-ran both of the Basic Settings, but I'm still not getting any cornering lights. Any tips?
I read through this thread and saw that you had issues with the coding changes with the OBDeleven. Were you ever able to get the coding changes to work as expected or did you have to revert the coding changes back to stock (with the OBDeleven, VCDS, etc.)? Interested in the changes but don't want to cause a bunch of lighting issues.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I read through this thread and saw that you had issues with the coding changes with the OBDeleven. Were you ever able to get the coding changes to work as expected or did you have to revert the coding changes back to stock (with the OBDeleven, VCDS, etc.)? Interested in the changes but don't want to cause a bunch of lighting issues.
I reverted and eventually the cornering lights started working again. Not sure what did the trick but I've left it alone for now. Given everyone else seems to be having a good time with it I'm sure it's probably just me, but ymmv.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
My early MY18 does not have the "dynamical low beam" long code option, but I had previously enabled everything else besides keeping the "headlight regulation" enabled. Now my "rain light" works! Movement does seem a little bit quicker, but my previous coding changes had already made a significant difference compared to stock.

Drove around my neighborhood a little afterwards to make sure I didn't get any random errors, so far so good!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-201659__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-201659__01.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

corradokidg60

Car(s)
19 GTI, 90 Corrado
For anyone following along with VCDS, this can also be done... instructions as I found the process on my 2019 GTI Autobahn (US market.)

Go into Module 4B -> Coding

5: Change the following entries to the following values:
Headlight Regulation > not enabled
Byte 10, Bit 0 coding is named Headlamp range control, activated
Default is checked, uncheck this to disable

Dynamical_Low_Beam_Light > enabled
Byte 11, Bit 5 coding is named Dynamical _Low_Beam_Light,activated
Default is unchecked, check this to enable

rain_light > enabled
Byte 10, Bit 4 coding is named rain light,activated

highway_light > enabled
Byte 10, Bit 3 coding is named Highway light, activated
Default is checked, left this enabled (your car may be different)

All-weather lights > enabled
Byte 10, Bit 5 coding is named All-weather light, activated

Performing the Basic Settings is much the same as with OBDeleven, go into Basic Settings, choose IDE03675 Basic headlamp setting from the popup menu and Go, then click Done. Then choose IDE03676 Acknowledge basic setting and Go, then Done. These labels changed over versions of VCDS so use the IDE reference to be sure you aren't resetting some other setting back to basics.