GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 hardwiring dashcam - avoiding curtain airbag in A-pillar

leesutton

Hi all

Taking delivery of my MK7.5 Match Edition in a couple of weeks - in my current Polo I've got a hardwired dashcam with the wire running nicely down the A-pillar into the fusebox under the steering wheel.

Though from viewing a few Youtube videos it seems like the MK7.5 Golf is a bit harder (though, due to the increased safety of airbags so fair enough!). None of the video's I've found actually explain how to run the cable BEHIND the curtain airbag, annoyingly. And, lots just run the cable straight over the airbag which I don't want to do.

My options for the wire are to either run from the dashboard into the cigarette lighter in the BOOT (right hand drive so on right - running across top of A-pillar, through door seal, to B pillar etc.) or down the A pillar, then use an add-a-fuse into the fusebox. Either way, the A-pillar is what's causing me the concern.

If anybody has any guidance on how to run a wire from the windscreen roofing down the A-pillar (ideally without unclipping it all as I understand it's a pain to replace) without obstructing the curtain airbag that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

leesutton

Link in my signature should be of help.

You can also try the forum search, there are several threads on it...

Really useful, cheers - I did try a search though didn't find that one in your signature so that's very useful (y)

So, looks like I can thread the actual wire end behind the airbag at the top of the A-pillar. Any thoughts on what would be best - either running into the boot cigarette lighter or using the add-a-fuse into the fusebox?

Thanks

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
Buy a dash camera install kit with fuse piggy backs. I've used this kit in a Lexus es330, mk6 jetta and 7.5 GTI now with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G9WTWB9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oJd7DbNBS1MDV

You're gonna want to use the 12v cig lighter fuse for power.

Open driver door
Remove A pillar.
Remove side panel fron dash
Run wire from fuse box up inside the dash up to the bottom of A pillar
Pull out enough dash camera wire to make the final run to the camera
Run wire parallel to other wires traveling up a pillar
Fish wire over the top of the airbag at the top of the windshield and A pillar area
Run wire across where the windshield meets the headliner tucking the dash camera wire into the headliner along the way.

Vague and from memory, but once you remove the A pillar trim and dash panel you will get it.

leesutton

Thanks all, much appreciated. Do you think it'd be possible doing it without removing the entire A-pillar?

Worried about damaging the famous christmas-tree brackets or not being able to replace it correctly, so hoping to just be able to remove the top clips and feed the wire through, and behind the curtain airbag.

It's a struggle alone to remove the A-pillar from my 6R Polo (and they don't have curtain airbags in the same place - so much easier!)

leesutton

Is it recommended to remove the airbag fuse whilst tinkering around with the A-pillar?
Then, by doing so would it cause any issues or would all be fine when the fuse is reconnected?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Is it recommended to remove the airbag fuse whilst tinkering around with the A-pillar?
Then, by doing so would it cause any issues or would all be fine when the fuse is reconnected?

You are severely over thinking this, nothing is going to happen. Just run the wire and be done.

If you're that concerned, just disconnect the battery.