GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 2016 gti APR STAGE 1 ( at what rpm ???

DGTI

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI manual
I have a 2016 mk7 gti,

Upgrades :

1. APR COLD AIR INTAKE
2. STAGE 1 APR TUNE

questions :

- I am going to be installing a new cold air intake pipe or tube from the air filter to the turbo. My question about this is, should I do the turbo muffler delete install as well? And also change out the inlet to the larger diameter elbow ? If I do will there be a noticeable increase in sound and horsepower gains?

I already hear the air whooshing into the turbo quote nicely…

- I notice that the additional power I have in the vehicle now that I have had the stage 1 time has a response around 3000 rpm’s. Up until 3000 rpm’s the vehicle pretty much drives the same. I had another option to have done with the stage 1 tune and that was the lower rpm stage 1 tune, but it came with much less horsepower and torque numbers so I opted for the higher rpm tune…
If I had gone with the lower rpm, would the power kick in lower on the rpm gauge or is that irrelevant because the additional power isn’t supplied until the turbo spools and kicks in and that doesn’t happen immediately and there is always a lag with the turbo?

* the next upgrade the I do, is going to be a complete turbo system that guarantees up to 536 horsepower. APR has a turbo kit for about $5500, that comes with a larger turbo, intercooler and quite possibly an exhaust system. I am mentioning it because this won’t be for quite a while and the turbo I get I want it to have the least amount of lag as possible.

Any input y’all could share, I’d greatly appreciate it. Take care my brothers

DGTI

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI manual
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 28

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I am going to be installing a new cold air intake pipe or tube from the air filter to the turbo. My question about this is, should I do the turbo muffler delete install as well? And also change out the inlet to the larger diameter elbow ? If I do will there be a noticeable increase in sound and horsepower gains?
Turbo muffler delete does basically nothing. The inlet pipe might have some minor effect. More airflow is a good thing.

I notice that the additional power I have in the vehicle now that I have had the stage 1 time has a response around 3000 rpm’s. Up until 3000 rpm’s the vehicle pretty much drives the same.
That’s pretty normal. APR adjusted the power delivery in a 2020 revision to come in smoother so you won’t feel a big kick of torque at 2500 rpm anymore and the turbo needs a second to spool. But look at dynos of the tune and your car is making more power below 3000. It just depends where you’re starting from.
(https://www.goapr.com/products/software/ecu_upgrade/parts/ECU-20T-EA888-3-T-IS20)

I had another option to have done with the stage 1 tune and that was the lower rpm stage 1 tune, but it came with much less horsepower and torque numbers so I opted for the higher rpm tune…
If I had gone with the lower rpm, would the power kick in lower on the rpm gauge or is that irrelevant because the additional power isn’t supplied until the turbo spools and kicks in and that doesn’t happen immediately and there is always a lag with the turbo?
There is no high/low rpm tune variation. I think you meant the high/low torque options. That wouldn’t change much here since you’re still waiting for the turbo to spool and the ECU to allow full boost pressure.