GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mishimoto’s MK7 GTI Intake Development

isaidsthats

Passed Driver's Ed
I just installed the Mishimoto intake today. I previously had an Injen SP open air intake, and around temperatures in Philly today (90F) I would see a max of 219F oil temp. With the new intake installed with the cover on, it shot up to 223F. I can't really feel the difference in power, and the SAI was a pain to install. I can't tell what the IAT were, but just opening the intake box and feeling the temps inside was very hot and touching the metal enclosure burnt my hand.

Overall there is less whoosh sound than before, which was kind of a con for me and I can't really feel the power difference between the Injen SP and the Mishimoto intakes. Plus the temps were higher than before.

I'm going to drive with the top enclosure off for a while and see how the temp differs.

Cheers!

'15GTI non-PP, AWE catted DP, AWE track catback exhaust, APR stage 2, CTS highflow turbo inlet, 034 dogbone mount, GFB DV+

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
My IATs were only 10-15 over ambient last night when under boost, but I do have a FMIC.

I'm gonna roll with this for a bit, so far it has made an improvement in my car in regards to throttle and timing pull (which I cannot explain).

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Isaidsthats,

You are reading the wrong temp. You want your intake temp or boost actual temp. (need a scanner tool, vcds, JB1, P3 gauge) to read. Oil temp is not going to be effected really one way or another by an intake.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
IATs still look good for me.

On another note, the SAI part was literally falling off after some spirited driving, I re-adjusted it for now but if it keeps being an issue I might have to run it out of the airbox aka. APR style.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
So I found that the SAI filter and the main pod filter are hitting each other under hard acceleration, thus causing the SAI hose to unclip from the housing.

Mine has not fallen completely off yet, but the lack of a flex section on this intake is causing the entire assembly to rock back and forth, and since the filters are literally squished into the new airbox they will collide with each other.

My 2 year old motor mounts aren't exactly as stiff as they were when new, I'm just a bit suprised after 2 days of ownership I have caught an issue that Mishimoto R&D overlooked.

Tone1

Ready to race!
So I found that the SAI filter and the main pod filter are hitting each other under hard acceleration, thus causing the SAI hose to unclip from the housing.

Mine has not fallen completely off yet, but the lack of a flex section on this intake is causing the entire assembly to rock back and forth, and since the filters are literally squished into the new airbox they will collide with each other.

My 2 year old motor mounts aren't exactly as stiff as they were when new, I'm just a bit suprised after 2 days of ownership I have caught an issue that Mishimoto R&D overlooked.

If it's any consolation, more than once I've popped the hood to find the SAI off of the stock airbox. Really not a very secure piece to begin with.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
If it's any consolation, more than once I've popped the hood to find the SAI off of the stock airbox. Really not a very secure piece to begin with.

Agreed, I'll see what I can do, I have an old 42DD SAI adapter from my MKV intake that is a machined work of art. It has a bigger clip at the end so it might be more secure than the Mishimoto provided one.

I'll have to see if its compatible later tonight.

KCchiefin

Ready to race!
The best part was the rubber push grommets, which became a game of "curse your favorite deity" pretty quick.

One shot out and hit my garage roof.

Haha oh yeah, I forgot about that. I think I had to reinsert those bastards 4 or 5 times before finally pushing each one down w/ my thumb to keep them in place. I used car shampoo as a lubricant (it was the closest thing in reach)

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Got out of work and had to re-attach my SAI filter because it was hanging on by a thread.

0/10 on the thought process behind that filter placement, I'm moving it out of the airbox like other intakes have it.

Maybe a v2 will come out with a place to hang the filter on the outside, almost like the Neuspeed intake has.

Last edited:

isaidsthats

Passed Driver's Ed
Got out of work and had to re-attach my SAI filter because it was hanging on by a thread.

0/10 on the thought process behind that filter placement, I'm moving it out of the airbox like other intakes have it.

Maybe a v2 will come out with a place to hang the filter on the outside, almost like the Neuspeed intake has.

I used a zip tie. It's holding up..for now.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I just pulled it out of the box and used my old 42DD SAI adapter which is 10x the quality with the one I was provided with the intake.

I blocked off the hole with black gorilla tape, and zip tied my new filter assembly loosely to a part of the wiring harness. I only did that so it doesn't pop out and move into the radiator, I don't think it will even without but I'm not taking that chance.

One interesting note, I found that my IATs were lower with the cover on this intake removed while driving, at least that's what my P3 tells me.

I will probably run this for a bit, or I'll get tired of having redneck engineering solutions for fitment issues and just buy an APR or 034 intake.

KCchiefin

Ready to race!
+1 on the design for the SAI placement. I need to check mine today to see if it's still connected. Might also remove the cover as well. Slightly disappointed w/ this.

Update: looks like it's still attached the way I left it so that's good. Left the cover off to see if there was any difference, haven't noticed one. Box didn't feel super hot or anything on the inside so that was good.

Last edited:

KCchiefin

Ready to race!
So I think I'm at the point now where I'm either going to wrap the box in heat shield tape, or take it off and sell it for an APR.

Matt15GTI

Ready to race!
So I think I'm at the point now where I'm either going to wrap the box in heat shield tape, or take it off and sell it for an APR.

:( sorry that it's not working out for you. That really stinks.