GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Might be picking up a second car... Should I ditch the R for autox?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
So wasn't really planning on it but a friend is giving me a decent deal on a 996 Cabrio 6 speed with LSD. Seems like about the right time for a midlife crisis!

IMG_20210927_214233.jpg

IMG_20210927_214238.jpg

I'm not a competitive autocrosser (@bfury5 can vouch for that!) So I'm just running for fun. I love the R but I'm thinking with the cab I might have more fun running the Porsche with some minor mods (GT3 LCAs and RSB) and moving the R back closer to stock suspension wise (probably keep the sway bars but sell off the Ohlins, wheels, CSS knuckles, etc) for a comfier daily driver.

Just kinda feels silly to have a Porsche and not use it! Assuming PPI checks out of course.

What would you do?

Last edited:

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
If the R is already set up how you like it I'd rather just autox that and keep the Porsche for fun weekend drives. Consumables on the Porsche are probably higher than the R and I feel like the R would still be better for autox.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
If the R is already set up how you like it I'd rather just autox that and keep the Porsche for fun weekend drives. Consumables on the Porsche are probably higher than the R and I feel like the R would still be better for autox.
I was just about to write the same exact thing. 996 convertible is a terrific GT car. Perfect for weekend drives.

I've owned a 911 and an R and as Raguvin alluded to, there is no "probably" in which car has the more expensive consumables.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Like others have said, I'd also leave the R as you have it. If you want to make it more DD friendly, maybe drop the springrates a bit. But the combo of ohlins + CSS knuckles should still rock day to day. And the 911 for a weekend cruise is a great combination

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I was just about to write the same exact thing. 996 convertible is a terrific GT car. Perfect for weekend drives.

I've owned a 911 and an R and as Raguvin alluded to, there is no "probably" in which car has the more expensive consumables.

I said probably because I'm too poor to own a Porsche. :ROFLMAO:

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I have no idea how your life is arranged, and what's important to you. So do what you want to be happy.

Maybe the R becomes the more 'comfy' bad/winter weather car
Maybe the 911 stays a weekend cruise with the lady car
Maybe you you want something more geared for hardcore autox/track use, and that means trading the R in on something else

As you add more vehicles, you can have them "specialize" into particular tasks instead of do-everything cars. What works for you?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
So, eventually I assume my garage is going to be a moderately fun DD e-car (polestar 2 is looking surprisingly good, especially with Ohlins) and a weekend fun/autox car. Might be the R, might be something more driver engaging even if it's not as fast (Miata, maybe this 996, etc). Then whatever car my wife drives (currently a slow as balls kinda beat outback, but it serves a purpose)

Some of my motivation for getting the Porsche is I've convinced the wife on this one where I might not be able to convince her on a gr86 or something similar. Once it's in the garage it's way easier to keep a third car in there :) it's also cheap enough I probably won't lose money on it and barring any unforeseen mechanicals I might even make a few k.

The other option would be convince her I should go right for the polestar and keep the R as the fun car. But in her mind the R is is the DD so it's a harder sell!

Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
So, eventually I assume my garage is going to be a moderately fun DD e-car (polestar 2 is looking surprisingly good, especially with Ohlins) and a weekend fun/autox car. Might be the R, might be something more driver engaging even if it's not as fast (Miata, maybe this 996, etc). Then whatever car my wife drives (currently a slow as balls kinda beat outback, but it serves a purpose)

Some of my motivation for getting the Porsche is I've convinced the wife on this one where I might not be able to convince her on a gr86 or something similar. Once it's in the garage it's way easier to keep a third car in there :) it's also cheap enough I probably won't lose money on it and barring any unforeseen mechanicals I might even make a few k.

The other option would be convince her I should go right for the polestar and keep the R as the fun car. But in her mind the R is is the DD so it's a harder sell!
There was a polestar 2 at the BMW novice school last weekend (with the Ohlins). Definitely way faster than it had any right to be, very cool car.

At this point a 3 car garage seems more and more likely for me one day (daily/winter car, fun "normal" car, and then autox/track car)

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
There was a polestar 2 at the BMW novice school last weekend (with the Ohlins). Definitely way faster than it had any right to be, very cool car.

At this point a 3 car garage seems more and more likely for me one day (daily/winter car, fun "normal" car, and then autox/track car)
Yeah Misha's videos of the polestar2 on the nurburgring were pretty nuts. Granted, great driver, but the thing moved way faster than a CUV had any right to.