GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Max summer/200TW tire discussion - fun data inside

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Dual-purpose street and track tire discussion. Taking a slightly different approach, so please step in and let's talk about your fat rubbers.

BACKGROUND - "what had happened was..."

...I managed to burn up an $1100 set of Michelin PS4S tires in just ~13k miles. Rotated them every 5k miles. HAD to. Enjoyed every hard corner of them.

They're currently at ~4/32" all around, and can limp along another 4-5k miles if I had to. Just no more track days left in them. Unacceptable.

(ed. - I get a $390 credit back due to Michelin's 30k mileage warranty, so that definitely helps...)

I have no complaints on these tires. Period. I am just open to considering other competitors for about the same cost. Hence this thread.

VEHICLE - Car is a 3100lb Mk7 GTI SE, DSG, stock IS20 snail, managed by EQT software on 93-pump, and enhanced my own selection of hardware...

1684349134322.png

When I was only driving the car on the Texas streets, and doing fast car club drives every 4-6 weeks, my answer would be "another set of PS4S tires, please".

Hands down. Zero thought required. But I got back into HPDEs this year, and that tends to change your psychology a bit... 😎 🙃

10 years ago, when I was racing almost every weekend, you ran...

...Bridgestone RE-11s/RE-71s if you wanted the fastest times and good longevity, but didn't mind the heavy, stiff sidewalls and increased road noise.

...The Michelin PSS if you wanted BMW levels of grip, but near-luxury car road manners.

...The Direzza Star Spec Z1/2 if you wanted the RE-11 performance for ~40% lower cost.

...Sumitomos if you were poor and didn't mind coming in last place at every event.

But Now in 2023, the market is saturated with strong offerings from Falken, Hankook, Continental and others.

I noticed (in the 2022 TireRack track test comparison) that every tire, on the same car, same brakes, same drivers...was within ~1-1.5 seconds of its closest rival, on a 1:47 course. Talk about a close race!

Here is a screenshot of the completed data for those runs/tests:
1684349394140.png

I believe this info (and a discussion) is relevant for those of us who are serious about tire performance, who do not have as much issue with cold or wet performance, or who can't afford to run two sets of "shoes" on our escape hatches throughout the year.

And every tire shown above is still for sale and popular a year later, so there you have it.

My question for the faster drivers and track hounds on here, is:

What tire do you favor/prefer that can last at least 10k miles of combined spirited street/boring highway duty, and still cut some consistent laps on a DE track day?

Top of my shopping list right meow:

-Michelin PS4S (again, I would sleep with these in my bed at night if I could)

-Hankook Ventus R-S4 (thank you, Monkey!)

-Yoko Advan A052

-Falken RT660

Video below of the tire reviews, for those interested/shopping and wanting real-world testing in a controlled setting
(you can watch it while you eat or have a work break):

Readyyyy...DISCUSS!

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Spade

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
I keep coming back to RT660 for Time trial and RT615 for HPDE. The predictability and grip per dollar are hard to beat.

I will be trying alternatives for each - RE71RS and ECS soon

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I don't have much track time at this point (10 days total) and most of that has been on the budg-o Accelera 651 Sports which many seem to hate. They have worked fine for me but I'm not TT'ing, just lapping and learning. They have lasted well for me so far and were cheap AF - they have dropped in price and I believe you can get a set now for around $400 for 245/40/17 delivered. Spade above is telling me to get the Flaken RT615K+ next which I think I will do when these 651s are shot probably by end of year to try something different. I keep hearing folks talk about RS4 for lapping and RT660 for TT.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
I keep coming back to RT660 for Time trial and RT615 for HPDE. The predictability and grip per dollar are hard to beat.

I will be trying alternatives for each - RE71RS and ECS soon
Most folks who dabble in the RE71xxx never go back to anything else. They're a hard and heavy warrior of a summer/track tire. I have been spoiled by the ultra lightweight synthetic carcass of the Michelin tires since 2011...

The RT615s wore like pencil erasers when I ran them. It was embarassing.

I have openly hated Falken tires ever since. This opinion is reinforced by the dozens of Falken road tires on my customer cars for the last 10 years, which have been as trashy as an episode of the Kardashians:

Noisy. No grip wet or dry. And they hold air like an introvert holding a conversation at a party... Constant refills and adjustments are needed.

Every Falken customer who has taken my advice and switched to Michelins or Bridgestones has been blown away by the difference in road manners and confidence.

Getting back on topic (my bad!)...nearly all of the Japanese performance tires in the last 20 years use more/denser steel belts to strengthen the sidewalls and obtain that steering response/lateral strength for corner handling.

Unfortunately this comes at the penalty of 3-4lbs of additional weight, per tire, in the outermost section of the wheel/tire combo - where it hurts the most.

TireRack's website does a great job at disclosing this data under their Specifications section for any given tire you can think of.

This weight-gripe may sound nit-picky, but I have worked hard to keep weight down on all of my performance applications, and it makes for the best possible drive and steering response. I think 25lbs is the most I wanna take on for a summer tire.

My 245/40 Michelin PS4S are just 23lbs each. It's been wonderful on the 19lb Neuspeed wheels... 👏❤️ 🍻

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Nothing is going to go 10k miles and multiple track days or autocross if you're actually trying to go fast. Once you're going to dual purpose tires, you still have various spectrum on the street performance vs. track performance criteria. The Continental Force's are probably the best dual purpose as far as longevity if you still want to be reasonably quick. They wear well on track, but they aren't going to be as fast as the top tier tires, and aren't going to last as long as Conti ECS PS4S on the street.

I've run Continental ExtremeContactSport and PS4S, and then went a bit more hardcore and went to RT-660's on my GTI. Since then, went a different direction with the GTI, softening it up, now that I have a more dedicated motorsports vehicle.

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Maybe I don't have much to offer...but I'm gonna.
I have the 615s and wish I didn't.
Want to buy them? They have 6 autox days on them.
I very much wish I had gone with the crowd and data and bought 660s.

There is another GTI in my local group that is regularly beating the daylights out of me and his only mod of note is that he has 660s in GS class. AND he's a great driver, but I can't hold his line. These tires are like plastic. It's turrrrible

** Cries in 615k+ **

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
...I keep hearing folks talk about RS4 for lapping and RT660 for TT.
THIS. @MonkeyMD is a big proponent of the RS4s, and he is a regular track hound who likes to party.

1684352613420.png

The Hankooks (back to the RS3 10+ yrs ago) were hailed and loved by auto-x guys for their predictability, and for wearing like iron. I personally can't stand the latest look of them, which I know is petty, but the idea of a long-lasting lap-lover of a rubber is deeply appealing.

I would already have the RT660s if they weren't a Falken product. They look awesome and put down some wicked lap times in different testing.

My once-bitten No-Falken explanation in the post above...

1684352721837.png

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Nothing is going to go 10k miles and multiple track days or autocross if you're actually trying to go fast. The Continentals are probably the best dual purpose as far as longevity. They wear like iron on track, but they aren't going to be as fast as the top tier tires.
Which Continentals? They have a half dozen UHP/Summer offerings.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG

There is another GTI in my local group that is regularly beating the daylights out of me and his only mod of note is that he has 660s in GS class. AND he's a great driver, but I can't hold his line. These tires are like plastic. It's turrrrible

** Cries in 615k+ **
THIS. This was my effing experience when I ran the RT615s on my GTO over a decade ago. The lightweight JDM guys can't get enough of them. I find them to be trashy and not good at ANY one thing tires are needed for.

Spade

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen

** Cries in 615k+ **
They are generally 2 seconds faster on 60 Second course 660 from 615

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
And that's my experience too. Honestly we ran very similar lines. I am 100% not braking late enough or hard enough, but he is, on average about 1-2seconds faster than I am. ( we generally have 30-45 second courses, so yeah I know I still have a lot of learning to do. )

Doing ride along in each others cars leads to further solidify this for me too. In areas where he can bear down and throttle through I'm having to ease up because I am 1000% out of available grip.

I "thought" I was doing the smart thing by getting a cheaper hopefully longer lasting tire, but I hate them. I very much wish I had it in the budget currently to switch to something else.
So in conclusion. Don't buy the 615k+

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
BS. That's the difference between GS and AS.

People always want to blame the tires, or the car, or whatever. If you're 2 seconds off, it's YOU. The end.