GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

manual vs dsg and why

Roadhog

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19' R
You can brake torque which probably as equally bad as popping the clutch.

You can't on the DSG... It will cut the throttle if you are on the gas at the same time as the brake. That's what you have launch control for. :p

burchtd

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 GTI S
Manual transmission.

I got hooked on hatchback cars, and even more so manual transmissions around 2003 fall/winter season going into 2004. My best friend (whom at that time I first met) had (and still owns) a 2003 Ford Focus SVT. After salivating over that car, eventually he let me drive it. Smoothest shifting 6spd I've ever driven. Ever since then, back in 03-04 I knew I wanted to at least own one manual in my life time. Possibly more.

I went with the GTi in a manual mainly for that reason, and that the manual is inherently cheaper to service than the DSG (at least that's what I'm told by my service tech in my area). Also my previous car which died (2007 Mazda 3) was an automatic. The sport-o-matic shifter was cool, but my number one complaint from when I first signed for the car, to when I paid for the car, and here in the last few weeks, sold the car was: 'I wish my mom would've let me drive her car just a bit longer so I could've found a 3 in a manual.'

Being new to the 'practical sporty car game', I don't really care about the tuning capabilities of auto vs manual, I just like the feeling of getting my up and downshifts with little to no lurch. Being connected with the car is another great thing. Also I just recently found out everyone in my immediate family can drive stick, except me. Well, now that's no longer true, lol.

Also when I found this car, it was for a steal. Most '17 GTi's in my area were around 24K+ in manual, especially ones that came close to my mileage at purchase (12.4K).

A couple of stalls later, and a few really good hill starts, I'm still in love!

Last edited:

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
Owned 7 corvettes in the last 10 years...all but the last one were manual....really enjoyed my 6 AT one the most...just as involving and really felt much faster than the manuals...got a dsg gti and its just fine to drive and control

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
You can't on the DSG... It will cut the throttle if you are on the gas at the same time as the brake. That's what you have launch control for. :p

You can...

foot off the gas, left foot on brake, then put the gas back on. If youre on the gas and then brake it cuts throttle.

All about the order you do it.

ndenning46

Some tuning companies will program in left foot braking so you can use both brake & throttle at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ezyrider

Ready to race!
Why did you go one way or the other. For tuning purposes? Can't drive stick? Etc. I've driven both and prefer the manual over the dsg. I found the dsg to be boring unless your wailing on the throttle. To me up shifts felt slow, probably cause I was waiting for the gear change instead of doing it. It's by far one of the best auto's I've driven, but it creates a huge disconnect for me and the car.

Agree 100%! 2017 GTI PP MT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
I went manual because I like to shift, the other day I was eating a charger r/t, my wife said “ that was a smooth 2/3 shift” something a dsg driver will never hear. You can be faster all day long, there is no style points to be had on shifting with paddles.

Hehe I too have had a girl compliment me "wow I didn't even feel that shift"

Tsi7

Ready to race!
I've been fortunate enough to own 4 cars since I was able to drive on my own at 17...all 4 have been manual and all future cars I buy will be manual until I don't have a choice (I hope that day doesn't come for a long time)... I fly planes as a hobby and I actually have found that a lot of pilots drive manuals. When I ask why, the number one answer I get is "I need to be in control", which is exactly what I would respond if I were to be asked why a manual

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Hehe I too have had a girl compliment me "wow I didn't even feel that shift"
I gave a stranger a ride home one night in my TDI when they were stranded at a CVS in my hometown and they remarked at some point that they hadn't realized it was a manual until they noticed me shifting. I'll remember that forever.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I've driven manuals since I got drivers license in 94, but lately I've been starting to hate driving them in traffic. My wife has auto GSW and find myself driving it more if I have to deal with heavy traffic.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
I've been in a DSG all week, and am bored of driving it. Yes i know its faster on launches, yes i know it can hold power better, its just an auto just takes all the fun out of driving.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I've been fortunate enough to own 4 cars since I was able to drive on my own at 17...all 4 have been manual and all future cars I buy will be manual until I don't have a choice (I hope that day doesn't come for a long time)... I fly planes as a hobby and I actually have found that a lot of pilots drive manuals. When I ask why, the number one answer I get is "I need to be in control", which is exactly what I would respond if I were to be asked why a manual

And yet pilots have happily surrendered control to autopilot for decades.
Even in small single engine prop aircraft.
Today's airliners even surrender control to landing.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
You can...

foot off the gas, left foot on brake, then put the gas back on. If youre on the gas and then brake it cuts throttle.

All about the order you do it.
MT driver here, but that is a cool way to do it. Mud likes!

Tsi7

Ready to race!
And yet pilots have happily surrendered control to autopilot for decades.
Even in small single engine prop aircraft.
Today's airliners even surrender control to landing.

At altitude while cruising straight and level it makes sense.... it's kind of like being in 5th or 6th gear with cruise control on, expect with a little more automation

Takeoff and Landing... well, pilots still do hand fly the takeoff and landing phase for the most part (hence the control part) but there are just times you can't (think almost 0 vis and ceiling conditions for example)

It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. Flying a plane and driving a car have totally different levels of automation, and in a plane, to some degree or another, you still have the option to hand fly in a fully manual mode (all 4 axis of the autopilot disengaged)... but this is a discussion for a different thread :)

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie