GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual mode turns off automatically while in D and upshifts

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
It can be pretty jarring to get a double upshift when you're trying to shift and the car has the same idea.
This is sort of my point that got blasted.

Sure, being in manual mode all the time will generally put the car in the gear YOU want but sometimes you're "just driving" and not in manual mode. Going around a corner and expecting the DSG to do the right thing is not always what happens. Sometimes the thing downshifts in the middle of the corner and I'm thinking "Really?" Sure, to fully "correct" this I have to pop into manual mode or upshift/downshift with the paddles first to get it in to manual mode before the turn, make the turn and then let it automatically drop out of manual mode or push the shifter back into auto after the turn is completed when, what it should do it mimic what a normal sporty driver would be doing with a stick (downshift before the turn, leave it there as I make the apex and then let me apply throttle and up shift after.) Who downshifts in the middle of a turn? The car has to know I'm in a turn as all the sensors must be reading all the inputs.

Mostly it does do the right thing but not always and, when it doesn't, it's a bit annoying. But I'm not going to constantly go into and out of manual mode to get it to work right or what I believe is right. That's just too much intervention. Again.... when "just driving". I'm not required to be driving like it's track day all day everywhere I go. When in manual mode, it generally does what I want when I want it to. But I'm not always in nor am I always required to be in manual mode.

It's a good transmission but it's still controlled by a mapping that is not necessarily right in every situation.