GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Maintenance Suggestions for new owner w/90k miles

dehydorn

Car(s)
GTI
I just picked up a used 2015 GTI S manual with about 92k miles on it. It seems to have been well maintained, at least based on the shape of the interior and exterior. Sadly I have no service records so other than the regularly scheduled 100k maintenance items what should I make sure to do? Im just going to assume no maintenance was done other than oil changes.

thanks!
Don

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I think I would just check things like the serpentine belt, the motor mounts and any bushings related to the suspension, and the tires...basically any of the rubber components.

If you wanted to you could flush the transmission fluid and the coolant and replace it with fresh fluids, but I'm not sure that's really necessary.

dehydorn

Car(s)
GTI
Pretty much what I was thinking, I'm planning on new bushings and some suspension upgrades come spring. I may send some oil and trans fluid out to see if theres anything of concern in them.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Do you know if the timing chain(s) have been serviced, meaning changed? I would have someone check for timing chain stretch or get an ODB11 and use it to check. ShopDAP.com has a video about doing this. Brake/Clutch fluid flush might be one to do also. Brake pad thickness and rotor thickness checks. Manual transmission fluid change.

dehydorn

Car(s)
GTI
No I dont, Hopefully Santa brings an OBD11. If its in tolerance I plan on getting the timing kit this summer... no garage problems...

Dakaos

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI S
I recently picked up a gti with 80k or so on it. Two words... The Clutch. I would check and see if it holds power in 5th and 6th gear. You don't have to over do it but if the gear indicator (in the gauge cluster) goes blank under moderate to harsh acceleration you may be in for getting a new clutch in the future. The clutch from the factory is a weak unit which is prone to slipping over time or with power upgrades. Hope this helps. The GTI is still a great car though.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Spark plugs, fluids, and anything rubber should be checked as many have mentioned. So belts/hoses and mounts should be given a quick look over.

Pre-emptive? I'd change all fluids from oil to brake fluid and start your own logging on them for maintenance. Check other wear items for current service life (brakes, rotors, air and cabin filters, etc.)