GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Made myself some speaker adapters/spacers

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
There was a thread I stumbled on a while back, that I can't seem to find now, where people were recommending the JL C-650 as replacement door speakers. I ordered up a pair, and after I got them, drew up a spacer to print in cad that would be able to fit some speaker adapters in it, so I wouldn't need to splice into the car harness. came out pretty good. the wiring adapter plug fits tight into the side of the spacer, and I used some new screws to hold everything in place. If anyone else is interested in trying them, they can be found here:

Volkswagen 6.5" Speaker Ring Spacer for JL C1-650

DSC04115.JPG

DSC04118.JPG

DSC04122.JPG

IMG_20220220_125413.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Fan-f***ing-tastic!!! Are you using rivnuts or something similar on the sheet metal to hold those screws?

Am I going to get those speakers just so I can print these adapters and have it look so clean? Is that a waste of time/money? It is, isn't it? Talk me down, please.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
Fan-f***ing-tastic!!! Are you using rivnuts or something similar on the sheet metal to hold those screws?

Unfortunately, the factory speakers use rivets, and you have to drill them out in order to remove the old speaker. The holes left behind were a bit too large for the stainless steel screws I had left over from a previous amazon purchase.

Amazon.com: SNUG Fasteners (SNG95) 100 Qty #8 x 1-1/4" Truss 304 Stainless Phillips Head Wood Screws, Count : Industrial & Scientific

These 1-1/4" screws worked perfectly. but I did drill some small pilot holes in the door before running these through. I just clocked the ring a bit to one side, and used it as a template, so I had fresh holes to use. I imagine a 1-1/4" sheet metal tapping screw would be the hot ticket, since they self drill the hole on their own.

I also got some of this stick-on foam, and put it on the bottom of the ring. Should make for a good seal against the door, and absorb any vibrations:

Dualplex Neoprene Sponge Foam Rubber Roll Adhesive, 15X60 Inches X 1/8" Thick, Perfect Cosplay Padding, DIY Project Sheet - Easy Cut Adhesive Multi-Function Soundproof Rubber Foam Sheet - - Amazon.com

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI

Am I going to get those speakers just so I can print these adapters and have it look so clean? Is that a waste of time/money? It is, isn't it? Talk me down, please.
Its way too much money. You should probably stop modifying your car /s

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Hmm, I don't have the measurements for my adapter rings but they're definitely more than 1/4" and my speakers aren't flat...
Screenshot_20220321-211437.png

Door panels have been installed for a good while, haha. Actually dug up the email I sent to MJM about these, asking for them to made at 3/4" instead of 1 1/2". They accommodated that request at no charge. So that's what I have in my car.
markup_12625.png

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
How are you guys using such thick speaker rings? I couldn't fit an adapter thicker than .25" without the door card not being able to re-attach. And that's after I shaved off everything I possible on the inside of the door card
What size speaker are you trying to fit in there? the factory speakers are built into a plastic riser/spacer that is about 1-1/4" tall or so. Most aftermarket speakers won't come with a spacer. My spacers are around 3/4" or so (I have to measure again), and there was still enough room between the speaker and the door panel to install a 1/2" foam ring to get the speakers to seal up against the inside of the door panel. The foam compresses a bit, but there was plenty clearance without it.

01LSi

Passed Driver's Ed
What size speaker are you trying to fit in there? the factory speakers are built into a plastic riser/spacer that is about 1-1/4" tall or so. Most aftermarket speakers won't come with a spacer. My spacers are around 3/4" or so (I have to measure again), and there was still enough room between the speaker and the door panel to install a 1/2" foam ring to get the speakers to seal up against the inside of the door panel. The foam compresses a bit, but there was plenty clearance without it.
That's so weird ... What year is your vehicle, I'm 2019.

I show some pics in post 19 and others here of what I installed and shaved down without success. I probably still didn't shave it down the items in the perimeter of the door card enough. .25" adapter ended up being just fine instead

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...upgrade-updated-nov-22-19.368568/post-7429128

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
I've got a 2016, but I'd think the door cards are the same?

Anyway, looking at your speakers, they are super tall! I bet that's your issue. The JL's I installed don't have any additional trim or body, and sit flat. Your spacers are much taller than mine, maybe even be taller than stock? I looked up the specs, and they say it's should fit a mk7 golf though.

it might be the extra foam you installed on top that is causing the issue, the factory speakers are right up on the door card, with no room for any foam in between. Try it without the foam and see if it fits.

Last edited: