GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowering Rear Suspension to Reduce Rake

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Does anyone know of a way to lower the rear of the car without adjustable suspension, either through cutting the springs (within reason, and I doubt that), removing an isolator, installing a thinner isolator, etc.?

The long story is that I'm running lowering springs from EMD designed for the RS3, and because of the extra weight in the rear of an RS3 the rear springs are stiffer. The front of my car sits at about 25" FTG while the rear is closer to 26" FTG. I'd like that more even if possible, but I can't find any information on lowering the rear to reduce rake, only raising it through TT spring pads, etc. It's not a super dramatic rake, but I think it would look better more even.

The car is very well balanced right now and I don't want to swap the rear springs if that means lowering the spring rate.

Pics for clicks:

20180811_181344-01 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

20181124_131757_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Anyone? I figured this was a long shot, but if you've got any ideas I'm all ears!

I think I'm going to try and modify the upper rubber isolators so that they only center the spring and then wrap the top of the coil in a rubber hose for damping. That should take 1/4" out of the assembled height which should lower a bit more than that (not by too much).

Last edited:

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Sounds like way too much work for 1/4” that really won’t be noticeable. Honestly new springs for the rear aren’t all that much. To go through the labor of the whole disassembly for a 1/4”.......not me!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Sounds like way too much work for 1/4” that really won’t be noticeable. Honestly new springs for the rear aren’t all that much. To go through the labor of the whole disassembly for a 1/4”.......not me!

Maybe I am getting picky, but if I can take 1/4" out of the spring height that should translate to more at the hub.

In any case, what rear springs are you thinking I can run? I would need something that has the equivalent rate of about 300 lbs-in or higher to match these springs, which is more than most Golf R lowering springs I'm aware of.

The rear suspension pulls down in about 20 minutes per side, if this was on the front suspension I wouldn't even worry about it.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Ground Control will sell you springs, you just need to specify the rate, length, and inner diameter.

https://groundcontrolstore.com/collections/2-50

edit: https://eibach.com/us/files/images/page-images/eib_in_ms/ERS-17_US.pdf

I appreciate that. If I was going to reinvent the wheel to that degree I would just get the full GC coilover kit so I could set my ride height and spec my rates out (with GCs help). I still have notes from the rates you're using if I do go that way.

For now I'm just getting picky on stance I suppose :eek:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
I'd say your rake is spot on. I just added a small amount to keep from tucking when carrying stuff our multiple people in the back.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
All EMD springs are the same for all MQB-chassis cars. The only difference between "kits" is the supplied spacer for the rear springs. GTI and Golf "kits" do not come with a spacer, but Golf R and Audi S3 "kits" do, to adapt springs designed for 2 wheel drive cars to AWD cars. The EMD "kit" for AWD Sportwagens is even thicker, so EMD tells me. If you have the spacer installed, take it out and see where that gets you. If you do not have a spacer installed....I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'd say your rake is spot on. I just added a small amount to keep from tucking when carrying stuff our multiple people in the back.

Thanks, I think it those pictures I was mostly a full take of gas so it's worse "unloaded" but I am just being picky. The car was very level before so this is dramatic to my eyes.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
All EMD springs are the same for all MQB-chassis cars. The only difference between "kits" is the supplied spacer for the rear springs. GTI and Golf "kits" do not come with a spacer, but Golf R and Audi S3 "kits" do, to adapt springs designed for 2 wheel drive cars to AWD cars. The EMD "kit" for AWD Sportwagens is even thicker, so EMD tells me. If you have the spacer installed, take it out and see where that gets you. If you do not have a spacer installed....I don't know what to tell you.

I'm running the RS3 springs on my car so they aren't the GTI or R springs. I don't have the spacer installed, EMD did my install as a guinea pig setup for the higher rate springs. I'm also running the RS3 rear bar which has a 3rd setting higher rate than the R rear bar.

This is just my own weird problem :eek:

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
I'm running the RS3 springs on my car so they aren't the GTI or R springs. I don't have the spacer installed, EMD did my install as a guinea pig setup for the higher rate springs. I'm also running the RS3 rear bar which has a 3rd setting higher rate than the R rear bar.

This is just my own weird problem :eek:

I see. If you want it level, I'd suggest getting the proper EMD Golf R springs, then. The one thing EMD does the best is eliminate the rake on all the cars I've seen with them installed.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I see. If you want it level, I'd suggest getting the proper EMD Golf R springs, then. The one thing EMD does the best is eliminate the rake on all the cars I've seen with them installed.

I had the R specific springs on my car for ~25k miles but they were a bit to soft paired with Bilstein B8s. I agree, very level:

rosebowl2 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

I'm just fussing to get that stance back, but I might just have to deal with the rake until the next suspension, either PSS10 or GC coilovers so that I can adjust what I want.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Anyone? I figured this was a long shot, but if you've got any ideas I'm all ears!

I think I'm going to try and modify the upper rubber isolators so that they only center the spring and then wrap the top of the coil in a rubber hose for damping. That should take 1/4" out of the assembled height which should lower a bit more than that (not by too much).

Yeah on other platforms removing the isolator and just using some heater hose is very common, and as far as cutting springs many people who have not actually done it will tell you "DONT DO IT" key element -they have not actually done it. lol.

when you are looking to just lose such a small about of height you can get away with cutting a tiny bit of the top of the spring off with a cut off wheel. you will 1. not generate the heat a torch would, which is one of the common comments about cutting spring (heat will alter the springs rate) and 2. if you look at aftermarket coils when they are installed and the weight is loaded the first couple coils are already resting on each other...cutting that tiny bit off the top is not going to reduce any suspension travel.

also the labor to remove the spring is literally 30 min. its not a lot of work.