GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

low pressure pump wiring with green basket top?

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Precision Raceworks Fuel pump installation guide shows installation for the blue basket top. My basket top is green, and the pump wiring is only two pins. Does anyone know which is the +12v lead? I'm assuming the blue harness wire, but I've been wrong before.

Thanks in advance! Trying to get the pump put back in the car! LOL

EDIT:

The positive lead is the pin closest to the fuel feed line.

Last edited:

Dragk913

Go Kart Newbie
Precision Raceworks Fuel pump installation guide shows installation for the blue basket top. My basket top is green, and the pump wiring is only two pins. Does anyone know which is the +12v lead? I'm assuming the blue harness wire, but I've been wrong before.

Thanks in advance! Trying to get the pump put back in the car! LOL

I'm 82% positive the blue wire is actually the negative. IIRC, when I installed mine a a few weeks ago, I couldn't find anything online, so I went with my gut (black is ground, blue must be +12v) and after installing, the pump would make noise but not actually pump fuel. So I pulled everything back out, wired the opposite way I thought it should, and it's been working beautfiully for the past 1k miles.

Also, don't forget to wire in that orange wire!

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
I'm 82% positive the blue wire is actually the negative. IIRC, when I installed mine a a few weeks ago, I couldn't find anything online, so I went with my gut (black is ground, blue must be +12v) and after installing, the pump would make noise but not actually pump fuel. So I pulled everything back out, wired the opposite way I thought it should, and it's been working beautfiully for the past 1k miles.

Also, don't forget to wire in that orange wire!

Thanks, I found a picture that shows what you said. The downside is even after the orange clip and reinstalling the assembly, my fuel level sensor decided not to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Fuel level sensor fixed. Not sure what the cause was but I pulled the assembly, double checked the sending unit wiring, and the level sensor was free and clear then put it all back together. Cleared codes, fired it up and my fuel level is back. [emoji1362]

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Fuel level sensor fixed. Not sure what the cause was but I pulled the assembly, double checked the sending unit wiring, and the level sensor was free and clear then put it all back together. Cleared codes, fired it up and my fuel level is back. [emoji1362]

Spoke too soon. Fired it up this morning and fuel level is not showing again [emoji2361]

Dragk913

Go Kart Newbie
Spoke too soon. Fired it up this morning and fuel level is not showing again [emoji2361]

That's disappointing, Cliff. After my install I have a soft code for fuel level sensor voltage out of spec, but it still reads accurately (as far as I can tell).

With the assembly out of the tank but still assembled (pump in basket), does the level sensor move freely?

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Yes it does, and I even checked the resistance of the sensor sweep with a multimeter, though I do not know what the resistance should be it seems fine.

I'm in quite the pickle though with the fuel pump, so I've taken Ed's advice and e-mailed Precision Raceworks.

The kit I ordered is the "Stage 3.5" 525lph pump kit, and it doesn't seem to fit well. I've uninstalled and re-installed the whole assembly three times now, and double checked everything but it just doesn't seem like the pump and install kit was meant for a 2017 Golf R pump basket. I don't know what else to do, so I'm hoping PR has some advice. One glaring omission from their advertisement on the website is the inclusion of the Golf R. If you look at the Stage 2 kit, it specifically mentions the Golf R. Why did they omit the Golf R from the stage 3.5 kit? Was it a mere typo, or was it intentional?

The standoff's they supply, are properly inserted, and tight. The venturi extension is properly installed, as is the pump adapter ring. Everything looks as it should, however there is only 1/2" of travel from the basket cover to the top of the pump assembly.

It's been a very frustrating day, and I feel defeated.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Okay, so Precision Raceworks called me this evening to discuss my particular issues with modification to the pump that is required for the '17 Golf R. VW made slight revisions to some of the baskets, and he said it sounds like I was one of those "lucky" customers.

In order to make the basket fit easier without fighting the assembly, there is some shaving required of the pump itself, as well as removing the plastic cap on the top of the fuel pump assembly.

I'll be taking pictures and documenting for the sake of anyone else that may come across this same issue in the future. He also strongly discourages running the 525lph pump without the upgraded fuel line, so I've ordered the 6AN kit and will be installing it as soon as it arrives. Hopefully these corrections get me back on the path.

Both Precision and EQT have been extremely helpful so far.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Cliff, be careful when putting basket back in orientation. I had to do this at least 5times to get the orientation right (which of course i forgot). but really got tired of fuel soaked hands. The orientation matters in an R especially ( i do not know the GTI) b/c we have saddle tanks. so the swing-arm is almost impossible to check if it is free once it's in place. what was happenening for me was the arm was going up to 3/4tank shown on dash even when i filled up. from what i remember, i believe there is a marker tab on the basket ring that needs to point straight back. this positions the arm so that it's freely moving within the tank. good luck!

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Cliff, be careful when putting basket back in orientation. I had to do this at least 5times to get the orientation right (which of course i forgot). but really got tired of fuel soaked hands. The orientation matters in an R especially ( i do not know the GTI) b/c we have saddle tanks. so the swing-arm is almost impossible to check if it is free once it's in place. what was happenening for me was the arm was going up to 3/4tank shown on dash even when i filled up. from what i remember, i believe there is a marker tab on the basket ring that needs to point straight back. this positions the arm so that it's freely moving within the tank. good luck!

Yep, I’ve been putting the tab on the basket cover in a groove that’s pointing to the hatch area. I already ordered the replacement level sensor unit so hopefully it comes in before the fuel line kit.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Okay, so Precision Raceworks called me this evening to discuss my particular issues with modification to the pump that is required for the '17 Golf R. VW made slight revisions to some of the baskets, and he said it sounds like I was one of those "lucky" customers.

In order to make the basket fit easier without fighting the assembly, there is some shaving required of the pump itself, as well as removing the plastic cap on the top of the fuel pump assembly.

I'll be taking pictures and documenting for the sake of anyone else that may come across this same issue in the future. He also strongly discourages running the 525lph pump without the upgraded fuel line, so I've ordered the 6AN kit and will be installing it as soon as it arrives. Hopefully these corrections get me back on the path.

Both Precision and EQT have been extremely helpful so far.

So what made you decide to go with the PR Stage 3.5 (525 pump) kit vs the Stage 3 (450 pump) kit?

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
So what made you decide to go with the PR Stage 3.5 (525 pump) kit vs the Stage 3 (450 pump) kit?

Forward-thinking. If running a 525lph kit prepares me for MPI and pure e85/e98 concentrations without the need to crack the tank open again (for the 6th time LOL), then I can call it done. I've already got the MPI manifold in my garage awaiting Cobb's release.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Forward-thinking. If running a 525lph kit prepares me for MPI and pure e85/e98 concentrations without the need to crack the tank open again (for the 6th time LOL), then I can call it done. I've already got the MPI manifold in my garage awaiting Cobb's release.

You should talk to RailRoader that's on here. He's running full e85 with MPI and the EQT turbo and is using a 450 lpfp kit with no issues.

turbotoic

Hey cliff,

Im having the same exact issue. What was the final out come. I saw that this thread is pretty old. I need some advice