GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for feedback on Rotorlab BBKs

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Hi everyone I was just switching to my summer tires and noticed my inner front brake pad is down to 1 where as the outer is like a 4. So instead of replacing rotor and pads on the gti stock brakes I'd figure I shop around for a BBk option. http://rotorlab.com/. I was just going to go for the 330mm kit but I was wonder if our braking system can handle 6 piston calipers.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Subbed.

No personal experience, but from what I've read, great stopping power and fade resistance.
Calipers are bulky so don't fit some 18" wheel options. Usually require spacers.
For Gti, some modifications are required for the 18z to work, but not the 17z

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Our braking system can handle 6 piston calipers. There are several kits available that use them (Stoptech, Forge, APR, ECS, Neuspeed, Brembo, etc.).

Fitment of the 17z/18z is where things get a bit complicated. The calipers need to have the mounting tabs modified, which Rotorlab does. The real issue is with the knuckles on your car. The GTI's/R's have different knuckles than the Golf's do. The areas where the caliper mounts to the knuckle on the GTI/R is much thicker than on the Golf. The knuckles themselves are also different.

In order to fit the 17z/18z kit on a GTI/R, you have to file down the areas on the knuckle that the caliper mounts to by about 1/4". Considering that knuckles for the GTI/R cost $370 each, this isn't something to take lightly.

So yes, you can fit the 17z and 18z kits to a MK7 GTI, but there's some risk and some fabrication involved.

I was looking at getting an 18z kit for a while and spoke on the phone with Rob at Rotorlab on two occasions for at least an hour each time about it. His customer service is awesome and he's very knowledgeable about the kits that he sells.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Why not just getting the 4-piston, 2-piece Stoptech BBK. It uses 328mm rotors as well.
If you're located near the Philly area, I'd be willing to meet up with you.
Why would you carry the extra weight of a 6-piston caliper when it's not needed at all for our light little cars?

The nice thing about this BBK is the small caliper. It makes for easy fitment of wheels and there is WAY more stopping power than the stock brakes. Not to mention a ton of pad choices along with literally 5 minute pad swaps.
http://www.stoptech.com/docs/default-source/wheel-fitment-templates/98-895-2430-00_fp?sfvrsn=2

cagansevinc

Ready to race!
Anybody got a kit from Rotorlabs for their mk7 gti? Just looking for some feedback, I talked to Rob, and he said over 300 interest, only a few were sold for mk7 BBK. Very rare to find and just want to figure out if everything fits and works out like glove besides retro it to mk6 knuckle in order to fit.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Anybody got a kit from Rotorlabs for their mk7 gti? Just looking for some feedback, I talked to Rob, and he said over 300 interest, only a few were sold for mk7 BBK. Very rare to find and just want to figure out if everything fits and works out like glove besides retro it to mk6 knuckle in order to fit.

I literally just got off the phone with Rob and he wouldn't go into any detail about what's needed to fit the 17z or 18z onto the GTI except that it CAN be done bolt on with no filing/grinding. He proceeded to give me a 15 minute story on how there are tons of people calling in interested but very few buyers and that it wastes his time (so I guess he decided to waste mine instead?). I'm not sure what else he expects when the majority of people are window shoppers and he doesn't provide any detail on his website, except "call us". I asked what the requirements and time investment are, to which he responded with "my guess is under a day" and wouldn't go into any detail unless I was willing to pay him right then and there. His attitude was incredibly sour and unwilling to have any customer service skills. I certainly will not purchase anything from him and would not recommend anyone else do so.

FWIW, the 18z caliper is sized correctly in piston size, but it is pretty wide and tall, so fitment under most wheels for the GTI will likely be tough.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
There's a thread somewhere on this forum with member running either 17z or 18z on their Golf R, they switched to steel steering knuckles. I'm running his 17z kit on my TDI, but it has steel knuckles. I'm running 17" Neuspeed RSE05's, with an 8mm spacer. A member on TDiClub is running the Rotorlabs kit on their TDI as well, with a smaller spacer but under Neuspeed's as well I believe.

I was the first to run one of his kits on the Golf TDI. After several conversations with him and confirming the Golf TDI has steel knuckles I took the chance and ordered. This was probably two years ago.