GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for brake upgrade options

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Glad Tigeo added actual data and DarkArro's welcome additions including the question that is asked far too infrequently...WHY do you need to upgrade?

I get so tired talking about this with people looking to "upgrade" brakes without them knowing what they are trying to improve. Once you have fade/feel under control, most often via great pads and fluid, the only thing bigger brakes are going to get you are bigger bills, especially for street driving.
That was why I went BBK - doing a few HPDEs a year and the first one was impacted b/c my brakes were not up to task were fading/had to come off the track. 3600 pound car w/me in it on 312 brake and 2x stock power wasn't a good combo. BBK sorted it 100%.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Just to be clear - my example showed what we are saying (it sounds like you are saying that I think you stop shorter with a BBK) - that a BBK doesn't stop any shorter/faster than the stock brakes on the same tires. The slight improvement on my Dragy graphs (2') could have been a number of factors and as I said - we'll call it the same/within the scope of the variables involved.
Sorry if it came off that way. We're in complete agreement. I was just threw your example in since it was convenient to say lighter rotors could contribute to that 2 feet. Of course 2 feet is so small anything could have contributed to it.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
IMO The Macan setup is the sweet spot for a daily in terms of looks, price, and performance. I was able to put together and install my setup for 850 dollars. I've done about 20k commuting on em with no complaints and have pushed em on the track as well.

And to echo what people have said before outside of fade, tires are the number one factor in stopping distance. My stock 312mm rotors and calipers could pull my face off when I was on pilots sports, just don't ask me to do it more than twice lol.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here you go, science/data:

Summer tires shaved ~5' off my panic 60-0 stopping distance with the same BBK setup. It was cooler at 70 degrees today than the last time I did with the PS4 all seasons so figure I could potentially get a few more feet shorter if it was a little warmer out. Tires.

AS_summer_brake.JPG

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Here you go, science/data:

Summer tires shaved ~5' off my panic 60-0 stopping distance with the same BBK setup. It was cooler at 70 degrees today than the last time I did with the PS4 all seasons so figure I could potentially get a few more feet shorter if it was a little warmer out. Tires.

View attachment 242544
Only half way to the 10 ft blonde fella said carbon ceramics could get you! At a fraction of the price too!

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
As a point of reference I put on EBC - yellow stuff on the front's last fall and left the rear stock original pads on. I have completed two tracks days and the Yellow stuff really held up well. I would say at this time they are fine to run for daily but I will replace all 4 before my next track day. I would feel confident putting EBC's on again but maybe I will try the StopTechs.

Thanks for the video and all the Data guys.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
As a point of reference I put on EBC - yellow stuff on the front's last fall and left the rear stock original pads on. I have completed two tracks days and the Yellow stuff really held up well. I would say at this time they are fine to run for daily but I will replace all 4 before my next track day. I would feel confident putting EBC's on again but maybe I will try the StopTechs.

Thanks for the video and all the Data guys.
I had Yellows f/r on my stock brake setup and they handled track duty just fine on all season tires (important component here). I run them in the back now with my BBK up front. I liked them on the street as well.

Waltari

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I had Yellows f/r on my stock brake setup and they handled track duty just fine on all season tires (important component here). I run them in the back now with my BBK up front. I liked them on the street as well.
I run EBC yellows on PP calipers year round and they have held up great for DD and I typically do 4-5 HPDE a year. Only downside is the dust.