GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Local VW won't install my steering wheel

halluxvalgas

Passed Driver's Ed
Bought it from Eurozone Tuning. OEM besides the obvious carbon fiber/alcantara. Needs the DSG paddles, airbag, electronic controls and trim installed. I've watched the shopdap video on how to do most of it but I'd rather have a more seasoned person do it if possible. If anyone knows any reputable shops in southern NH/ME or close to there that you'd recommend please do! Thanks.

halluxvalgas

Passed Driver's Ed
Just so they can cover their own ass. Many don't like to install nonoem parts
I thought since it's an OEM steering wheel with just upgraded aesthetics and no added parts that it would be fine. Oh well. Hopefully a decent Euro shop won't charge too much. Any idea what an acceptable price would be for the install? Just curious.

ZachMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 6MT
Reach out to the shop I mentioned. They're pricing is very fair. I would guess they'd charge around $200. Give or take 50, but I'm not positive

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
While I'm sure the shop will do a decent job (or a great job if theyve done this before) tuning shops dont really do these installs and aren't necessarily competent in them.

What I want to know is why you didn't just buy the trim on the wheel? I would diy anyway...

halluxvalgas

Passed Driver's Ed
While I'm sure the shop will do a decent job (or a great job if theyve done this before) tuning shops dont really do these installs and aren't necessarily competent in them.

What I want to know is why you didn't just buy the trim on the wheel? I would diy anyway...
I did but it was back ordered and hasn't shipped yet. It's shipping separate and the wheel is sitting in the box. Figured I could just get it installed now and swap trim later.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

trim has to be removed regardless to install the controls.

Diy really is simple.
1.Disconnect battery
2. Back of wheel has 2 holes in it that you stick a flat head in and push outward to
Release the tension clips for the air bag
3.side the bag assembly out towards you, and unplug the 2 connectors (1for bag, 1 for controls)
4. Make sure the wheel is straight and mark the splines on the wheel so you can line it back up.
5.Then it’s just 1 bolt to remove it
6.swap parts over and reinstall.

Human garage guy did a vid on YouTube also. He just makes things look worse cause they way he stressfully narrates everything,lol

Last edited:

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I thought since it's an OEM steering wheel with just upgraded aesthetics and no added parts that it would be fine. Oh well. Hopefully a decent Euro shop won't charge too much. Any idea what an acceptable price would be for the install? Just curious.
It's not an OEM steering wheel once it's been modified like EZT steering wheels. They won't touch it because it's a "cover your ass" safety part. They can't verify anything about the wheel on install, so yeah, they'd deny install on that.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Independent shop should be less than a dealership anyway. If you have any local vw pages I'd bet some dealer techs do side work on their own. I know a bunch around me do.