GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LITTCO is38x - who actually runs one?

AlienSP

Ready to race!
Any updates on the new IS38x? I've been traveling and maybe missed something along the way.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Any updates on the new IS38x? I've been traveling and maybe missed something along the way.

I don't believe there is a final solution that combines the IS38X/L380/L380X/L430 as Dan had previously stated.

He is definitely still offering IS38X CHRA rebuilds and L380X Supercore upgrades. I just tore down an IS38 that had a turbine shaft failure and am going to go with the L380X Supercore.

The L380X is a replacement core/CHRA with a modified compressor housing which has a slightly larger compressor wheel. Reuse the stock turbine housing, diverter valve, and wastegate actuator.

Last edited:

AlienSP

Ready to race!
Thanks arob and Mr. Badass; seems like I'm the last to know or not keepin' my eye on the ball around here. Switching job locations soon so it's Charlotte area or W. Wisconsin. Colder air, but probably 91 oct. areas. Still interested in the"38".

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks arob and Mr. Badass; seems like I'm the last to know or not keepin' my eye on the ball around here. Switching job locations soon so it's Charlotte area or W. Wisconsin. Colder air, but probably 91 oct. areas. Still interested in the"38".

It is tough with Littco and seems to be because Dan is so darn busy, is always trying to make improvements, and release new products.

I placed my order for the L380X supercore today, and hope to get it in next month (got some mods backed up currently). Hoping to be able to hit 390-400whp with the larger compressor wheel and max & hold power out past 6000rpm. If a HPFP will be able to hold out to 6500rpm on e50 and I will be a happy camper.

Depending on where you end up, Wisco should have a decent ethanol supply. It is a big state though.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
It is tough with Littco and seems to be because Dan is so darn busy, is always trying to make improvements, and release new products.

I placed my order for the L380X supercore today, and hope to get it in next month (got some mods backed up currently). Hoping to be able to hit 390-400whp with the larger compressor wheel and max & hold power out past 6000rpm. If a HPFP will be able to hold out to 6500rpm on e50 and I will be a happy camper.

Depending on where you end up, Wisco should have a decent ethanol supply. It is a big state though.

Did you order through their website? Couldn't find any IS38/L380 etc. on there.

On a side note: Anyone here running them on APR's IS38 map? Interested in throwing one onto the 1.8l Wagon. No other supporting mods needed besides DP/Intercooler right? Looking to just make numbers similar to standard IS38, just want it to be stout.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Did you order through their website? Couldn't find any IS38/L380 etc. on there.

On a side note: Anyone here running them on APR's IS38 map? Interested in throwing one onto the 1.8l Wagon. No other supporting mods needed besides DP/Intercooler right? Looking to just make numbers similar to standard IS38, just want it to be stout.

I had seen a previous post (from someone) that had sent a core/CHRA to Littco for rebuild and that they also had a new offering. I inquired about both via Facebook Messenger and received a reply in 24 hours.

The options were an IS38 core rebuild (aka the IS38X core/CHRA with upgraded journal bearing assembly and clipped turbine wheel with stock com) or an L380X Supercore (upgraded journal bearing assembly, clipped turbine wheel, and larger compressor wheel + modified compressor housing. Just bolt up your old turbine housing and DV/WG actuator and go).

monkibouy

Passed Driver's Ed
I had seen a previous post (from someone) that had sent a core/CHRA to Littco for rebuild and that they also had a new offering. I inquired about both via Facebook Messenger and received a reply in 24 hours.

The options were an IS38 core rebuild (aka the IS38X core/CHRA with upgraded journal bearing assembly and clipped turbine wheel with stock com) or an L380X Supercore (upgraded journal bearing assembly, clipped turbine wheel, and larger compressor wheel + modified compressor housing. Just bolt up your old turbine housing and DV/WG actuator and go).

Did Dan give you any specs on the upsized compressor?

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Did Dan give you any specs on the upsized compressor?

He didn't specify. I would imagine it is a modest increase. Stock is 45.2mm. The L430 spec he listed online is 50mm. I am guessing it is probably between the stock 46.2mm wheel and a 48mm wheel. Again it does come with a modified compressor housing, so it is definitely larger. Pretty sure the larger wheel eliminates some surge at the ever so slightest expense of spool, but probably picks up on the top end well.

I will reach out an ask what the exact spec is, or maybe ask Dan to comment here if he has a chance.

Last edited:

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
He didn't specify. I would imagine it is a modest increase. Stock is 45.2mm. The L430 spec he listed online is 50mm. I am guessing it is probably between the stock 45.2mm wheel and a 48mm wheel. Again it does come with a modified compressor housing, so it is definitely larger. Pretty sure the larger wheel eliminates some surge at the ever so slightest expense of spool, but probably picks up on the top end well.

I will reach out an ask what the exact spec is, or maybe ask Dan to comment here if he has a chance.

I confirmed today that the compressor wheel on the L380X is 47mm. So a slight increase over stock.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance

Littco posted some info on the new L380x on their Facebook.

L380X(IS38)-MQB 2ltr
So the new L380x has been put through its paces, after a shaky start on another OTS tune it was evident the L380x had alot more to give so we decided to do a custom tune for it.

Basically this now a stage 2 setup with a turbo that doesn't surge in the mid range and just makes power to redline without spool loss.

This is 1.8bar tapering to 1.6bar redline.

Upgraded thrust bearings, higher flow compressor wheel and reduced clearanced compressor cover makes this good upgrade for custom stage 2 maps.

littco

Ready to race!
RED LINE is APR STAGE 2 SW on the same turbo
BLUE LINE custom STAGE 2 SW on the same turbo.

Back to back runs.