GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Wow. You guys are good. Talk about a breath of fresh air from NASIOC

NASIOC was like this forum in the early 2000's. It just went downhill as it got super bro inundated.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I'd rather lose 10lbs than to pay for fucking advans or volks, etc.

Probably going to get roasted here but IMO the MK7 isn’t all that affected by unsprung weight changes of 2-3 lbs per corner.

My NB and NC Miata were super sensitive to changes in alignment and wheel weight.

When I went to my Ampliforms and lopped off 5-6 lbs per corner I couldn’t really tell much of a difference.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Probably going to get roasted here but IMO the MK7 isn’t all that affected by unsprung weight changes of 2-3 lbs per corner.

My NB and NC Miata were super sensitive to changes in alignment and wheel weight.

When I went to my Ampliforms and lopped off 5-6 lbs per corner I couldn’t really tell much of a difference.
Going from stock wheels (26lbs) to anything 17-18lbs makes a huge, huge difference. Feel is subjective, but the math behind rotational inertia tells us that there is absolutely a difference.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I saved 8 lbs per wheel replacing the wheels and almost 5 lbs per wheel with 2 piece rotors. That's 52 lbs total unsprung weight and I honestly couldn't feel a difference. I'm sure if acceleration and braking distance tests were done it was improved but nothing that I could feel.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I know that theoretically it makes a difference, (and I like the idea of it) but I'm sure I'm not a good enough driver to appreciate or take advantage of the weight difference. Maybe in time I'll be more sensitive to those changes.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I'm in the same boat. Couldn't really tell the difference going from 26lb to 18lb wheels. But I know objectively, going from 18lb stock 15" wheels to the 18" 26lb wheels, acceleration didn't improve at all despite having no traction with the 15's. If rotational mass didn't matter, my times should have been better with improved traction of wider sticker tires (245 vs 195)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Same here when I was running GS. Lost 6 lbs per wheel and couldn't tell a difference. I think it's because these cars have so much torque mid range. Lose that much unsprung rotating mass in a Miata, and it's going to feel like a new car, but they have no torque.

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
I saved 8 lbs per wheel replacing the wheels and almost 5 lbs per wheel with 2 piece rotors. That's 52 lbs total unsprung weight and I honestly couldn't feel a difference. I'm sure if acceleration and braking distance tests were done it was improved but nothing that I could feel.
I think you just are not sensitive enough to the changes. I have certainly noticed a significant performance difference from reducing un-sprung weight, even at amounts less than what you are talking about.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I feel the difference when I change my wheels. Taking off my summers that are light weight is so easy, and then a little more of a struggle putting on my boat anchors I use for the winter hahaha.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think you just are not sensitive enough to the changes. I have certainly noticed a significant performance difference from reducing un-sprung weight, even at amounts less than what you are talking about.

I don't think it's a matter of sensitivity. I have enough power that I couldn't tell a difference. Like I said if you did instrumented tests of acceleration and braking I'm sure it would be a measurable difference. But at my power level a tenth or two quicker 0-60 it isn't noticeable.