GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lights issue

Stripey

Ready to race!
As you probably know, car manufacturers don't make the components that make up the car, they just put them all together. For most components vw will have several suppliers and although they will all be working to the same vw spec, there's bound to be some tiny differences, even if they look identical.

It could be, a certain light unit manufacturer is using a slightly different method or material which behaves differently in certain conditions? If there is a way of seeing who has made a misty light unit from the serial number or something, maybe check it against a light unit you know that doesn't mist up and see if it's a different supplier?

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
All the euro GTI/GTD xenons come from the same source.

amullo

Ready to race!
Several instances reported here in Sweden of moisture in the headlights, both Xenon and Halogen equipped cars.
Normally they get covered and replaced under warrenty.

Stripey

Ready to race!
VW use several Original Equipment Manufacturers for many components for the main reason of resilience if there is a problem with production at one manufacturer. Why is there only one OEM for light units? Seems a bit risky? I know, for example, there are at least 2 OEMs of the head unit, that are used in uk models.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Dunno - but I heard they were all made one manufacturer, that info could be inaccurate I know but thats what I heard!

GeoBog

Ready to race!
MK7 headlights are made by Valeo. Their parts are absolute rubbish, most parts that failed on previous cars were made by Valeo. I think they invest a lot in finding ways of making automotive parts that fail quickly.

mal101

May I ask the conditions your car went through that evening, heavy rain fall, cold front, snow. Etc. I'll keep a eye on mine judging the same conditions as you reply

It was just last week there was no rain but it was cold and in the morning my lights had moisture in them the other cars didn't.

CELT100

Ready to race!
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but my i had a issue with my rear taillight this week. My blown bulb warning light came on, I took it in to Hawco Inverness and they said it was filled with water. They had to order another rear light cluster. I got it refitted yesterday, my sister has a MK7 Golf and she had the same problem. Wonder if that is a common problem?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
The main units aren't sealed - they contain air that exchanges with the engine compartment any time you take the bulb out. (And presumably the HID units are the same.)
If that air is very humid (made in Mexico huh?) you will get serious condensation inside the lenses. Best you can do (which the dealer won't do for you) is wait for a very dry day, take the bulb out the back of the unit and let it air inside. Ideally you'd blow dry warm air in for a while and draw all the condensation out too.

Tyler Durden

Ready to race!
One of my Xenons has a permanent cloudy / foggy build up on the inside of the lens, it was there from new and is getting slowly worse. Both projector lens are filthy. VW are not willing to replace them under warraty leaving me with the hasse of taking it further and contact consumer affairs.

Piss poor.

s1monc

Passed Driver's Ed
Picked up my wife's new GTI yesterday and it started raining yesterday afternoon and I noticed both lights had misted up within hours of driving it out of the showroom.
Will leave it a couple of weeks and see if it improves before going back to the dealer. It's not a massive deal for me but doesn't look great on a new car.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Picked up my wife's new GTI yesterday and it started raining yesterday afternoon and I noticed both lights had misted up within hours of driving it out of the showroom.
Will leave it a couple of weeks and see if it improves before going back to the dealer. It's not a massive deal for me but doesn't look great on a new car.

The dealer won't do anything as it is normal and something you have to put up with when you have HID lights. Don't worry about it as it will go when it gets warmer.