GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's have a chat about winter/snow tires.

sirripo

Currently running Blizzak LM001's (225/45/17) on my car and have been deeply disappointed in them especially after this recent storm. I've had a variety of Jettas over the years and some of the highlights from my experiences with those have been:
- Blizzak WS60 on my Mk3 Jetta
- General Altimax Arctic on my Mk4 Jetta
- Firestone Winterforce on my Mk5 Jetta
All three of those were great to decent (I firmly believe the Mk5 was gonna be a handful no matter what I had on it because I also got wheelspin with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's that were my summer tires, traction from a stop seemed to be an issue in general), so they've made my shortlist (well, WS90 would be the current Blizzaks) but a few others I've also been considering are:
- Nokian Hakkapeliita
- Michelin X-Ice 3
- Vredestein Wintrac Pro
- Continental Wintercontact/VikingContact.

FWIW the WS90's are $160ea from Discount Tire at the moment so significantly cheaper than elsewhere and that alone is making me lean towards those, but just wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze so to speak for the Nokians or some of the other "premium" options like the Nokian/Conti/Michelin options

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG

Check out Tyre Reviews and Tire Rack on YouTube. I personally went with the Michelin X-Ice Snow, which replaces the Michelin X-Ice 3. I was originally planning to get the Continental VikingContact 7 but the distributor kept on sending me 3 year old tires so I returned them. The Michelin are very quiet and excellent snow and ice traction. I didn't consider the Bridgestone WS90 because as a daily driven car, it's difficult to get more than 4 years out of them as the special compound only lasts for part of the tread before it turns into a regular winter tire with significantly less grip.

Honestly, I personally don't see a need for Nokian Hakkapeliita in Toronto. However I don't know where you live in USA as I know lake effect snow can be brutal in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo region. However I wouldn't cheap out and get Firestone or Vredestein either. Definitely spend a bit more for the Michelin, Continental, or Bridgestone.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Blizzaks were great, wore quickly. I'm on year 3 or 4 on my VikingContact 7s and I wouldn't hesitate to get them again if the price was right. They seem to do ok with warmer weather, which is nice given the unreliability of november, december, february, and march here.

If I had much worse weather I'd either go back to blizzaks or try the nokians, but they seem overkill if you have warmer days.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
We’ve had a few snow tires on the cars over the years. Currently on Pirelli Sottozero 3’s and they’re the best that we’ve had, in my opinion. Super smooth, tons of grip in the snow and they ride quietly in the dry. They’re pretty heavy but they’re on the Allroad and that car isn’t for speed so I don’t mind. I wasn’t as impressed with the Michelin X-ice Snow. They were good enough but I’m liking the Sottozero’s a lot and would recommend.

sirripo

Check out Tyre Reviews and Tire Rack on YouTube. I personally went with the Michelin X-Ice Snow, which replaces the Michelin X-Ice 3. I was originally planning to get the Continental VikingContact 7 but the distributor kept on sending me 3 year old tires so I returned them. The Michelin are very quiet and excellent snow and ice traction. I didn't consider the Bridgestone WS90 because as a daily driven car, it's difficult to get more than 4 years out of them as the special compound only lasts for part of the tread before it turns into a regular winter tire with significantly less grip.

Honestly, I personally don't see a need for Nokian Hakkapeliita in Toronto. However I don't know where you live in USA as I know lake effect snow can be brutal in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo region. However I wouldn't cheap out and get Firestone or Vredestein either. Definitely spend a bit more for the Michelin, Continental, or Bridgestonelov

Honestly, I personally don't see a need for Nokian Hakkapeliita in Toronto. However I don't know where you live in USA as I know lake effect snow can be brutal in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo region. However I wouldn't cheap out and get Firestone or Vredestein either. Definitely spend a bit more for the Michelin, Continental, or Bridgestone.
Located in Wisconsin, frequently drive down country roads that get blown over with snow and deep drifts along with around town where it tends to be a little wetter/slushier. My city also is pretty awful about plowing/salting so hardpack snow that turns to ice around intersections is exceedingly common.

I've dug through reviews for hours, just hoping to get some real world feedback specific to the mk7. I'm working from home these days so less driving but still maybe 50 miles a week on average and I prefer to drive my car on longer trips as it's more comfortable for me. Mostly going to see family in smaller towns/outside of the cities where I encounter more of the blown over roads and such.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I hear you on midwestern winters. I grew up driving a rwd Olds Cutlass Supreme with shit all-seasons in MN winters without ever getting stuck. I’d be willing to guess that most of these dedicated winter tires would do just fine.

BigLips19

Car(s)
'19 GTI SE 6MT
I was driving with a buddy on brand new Hakkapeliitas on snow covered roads to go backcountry skiing and I was shocked how hard he could brake and still grip. I have no experience behind the wheel on those tires and I haven't had to do enough driving in bad snow to really have an opinion about other snows (I have some off brand wheels/snows I picked up used and have driven blizzaks a bunch) but that instance stuck with me.

Kart17

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
I've had the X Ice on my MK7 but they're too old and worn now but they lasted me 5 winters without issue great ride and good on fuel. I've braved this winter so far on my DWS 06+. Previously on my MK5 Rabbit I ran the General's and I liked those but that was 8+ years ago. For next year I'm not sure what I want to do yet I might even swap the winter set to Cross Climates or the new Weatherpeaks instead of a full winter.