GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lets figure out whats wrong with my car! - Theory / Wild Speculation Inside.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Hello all,

It's time for one of these again, since I have literally 1-2 people I can talk to in the local VW/Audi scene about car problems I figured I'd turn to the internet... I know this could be devastating and I could have cancer by the end of this.

I'll start with the "power" mods:

Eurojet Catless Downpipe
42DD Prototype Catback (Large Resonator - much bass, wow.)
K&N Drop In
Forge Twintercooler
BFI Subframe Mount
JB1

I'll pick up where my last saga left off, my car was at the dealer for 2 weeks, it has a new throttle body and the fuel system has been given the green light from VWoA.

Since putting my mods back on and setting the JB1 back up for 93 octane I am getting timing pull at WOT at any time sub 4k RPM. Ironically at 4k is where JB1 hits its most aggressive settings and the 3k range has been toned down quite a bit.

Weird things the car does:

Transmission whine. - 1st and 2nd gear whine between 2-3k RPM, 3rd does it a little bit but not nearly as loud.

That isn't transmission whine. - The sound is a whine and not a drill sound of a turbo going south, although I am not ruling this out. You can really only hear the whine with all windows up, any extra noise (windows down etc.) and you cannot hear it.

Timing Pull. - I'm showing -5 on my P3 gauge and last time I saw it hit below that my DV released boost protecting itself, then proceeded to pick up right where it left off like nothing happened.Last time it did this it was pre-dealership visit where my fuel system got the A-OK and without the JB1 fitted.

My Exhaust Vibrates my Cabin a tad. - My exhaust is so bassy it vibrates my cabin, obviously its worse with more boost, the flip side is if I'm not on the throttle its dead quiet.

So my questions are... what can I log, what can I do, how do we make the GTI great again?

Fresh Data log... ironically clean... the pulls to around 6k back to back are a 3rd to 4th gear rip. JB1 was not engaged when I ran this.

http://datazap.me/u/gn4rwhals/downpipe-log-map-0?log=0&data=3-5-6-7-8

Help a brother out internet stranger friends!

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Damaged/off balance DMF, causing vibration through an area of the car which detects it as detonation so it retards timing?

(super guessing)

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Damaged/off balance DMF, causing vibration through an area of the car which detects it as detonation so it retards timing?

(super guessing)

Honestly my stock clutch is noisy as all hell, this is a possibility. I was going to get a new one put in this summer.

My stock ECU log with the downpipe was clean, so maybe its only getting stressed with the added torque with the JB1?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
gn4rwhals,
There has been (though a major minority) owners with only a JB1 having clutch issues. (including a few R owners). It is feasible, when we are grasping for straws like this.

But didn't you say you drove another GTI and it had similar issues?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Weren't some 6mt guys having crankshaft play causing similar issues?

Yes, but that started with the clutch pedal sticking to the floor and the car stalling when taking off, it will also throw a code.

I am not throwing any codes at the moment and my idle issue has been deemed "normal" by VWoA.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
gn4rwhals,
There has been (though a major minority) owners with only a JB1 having clutch issues. (including a few R owners). It is feasible, when we are grasping for straws like this.

But didn't you say you drove another GTI and it had similar issues?

What is strange is that the clutch does not slip, I've heard of OEM clutch protection but never confirmed if it existed in the ECU.

The other car I took a ride in had the rough idle, that car had a Eurodyne Stage 2 HT file and a BFI Stage 4 clutch.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Trying to view this on a plane with my phone sucks lol. I'm going to try and look at it tonight but noise from the clutch isn't a bad idea. Have you tried to log knock? It is completely ok without the JB1 tho? Have you tried to run it in map 0 to verify nothing with the JB1 is causing it?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Trying to view this on a plane with my phone sucks lol. I'm going to try and look at it tonight but noise from the clutch isn't a bad idea. Have you tried to log knock? It is completely ok without the JB1 tho? Have you tried to run it in map 0 to verify nothing with the JB1 is causing it?

Completely clean without the JB1 at the moment, data log is in the first thread post.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Damaged DMF causing issues? Any odd noises at clutch engagement? Have you tried a JB1 Map 6 with 0 for boost until over the threshold for timing pull?

Clutch engagement no, when I pulled it out of storage for the winter I did have a squeak, that ended up being my throttle body.